New KK owner Transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Em_inNJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone:

New owner and my first post, my KK has been driven about 3K miles, the gears take a few seconds to engage in D and R, going in and out of the driveway. I thought it was just the way it worked. Then it got stuck in 2nd gear last Tuesday. The dealer looked at it and said it needs a new computer. Should I be worried or could there be bigger transmission issues here?

I also had them check the brakes as the entire jeep shuddered if you brake quickly in traffic. They said new rotors were needed and with the 2008, they were not shipped out and not in stock. Still waiting on parts and wondering if I will have more issues.

This is our second Liberty, we still have the 2002 that was bought in Nov 2001. It had the ball joint issues for the early models and was recalled for repairs twice. They are the same model, Limited, but the 2002 was 4x2. The new one has 4x4 but no leather seats. I thought the second one would be a good investment since the KJ has held up well at 80K miles and few repairs. But it seems to be falling apart already.

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

New owner and my first post, my KK has been driven about 3K miles, the gears take a few seconds to engage in D and R, going in and out of the driveway. I thought it was just the way it worked. Then it got stuck in 2nd gear last Tuesday. The dealer looked at it and said it needs a new computer. Should I be worried or could there be bigger transmission issues here?

I also had them check the brakes as the entire jeep shuddered if you brake quickly in traffic. They said new rotors were needed and with the 2008, they were not shipped out and not in stock. Still waiting on parts and wondering if I will have more issues.

This is our second Liberty, we still have the 2002 that was bought in Nov 2001. It had the ball joint issues for the early models and was recalled for repairs twice. They are the same model, Limited, but the 2002 was 4x2. The new one has 4x4 but no leather seats. I thought the second one would be a good investment since the KJ has held up well at 80K miles and few repairs. But it seems to be falling apart already.

Welcome to the forum.I have a 08 KK,and not to happy.Mine had a no start,had to be towed,rental for 5 days because they had no part In town.At least you can drive yours.I also had A/C problem,and transmission shudder.I think they are right on the TCM.Its good that they changing your parts.Most of the time they tell you they can't duplicate the problem,Good luck.

Em_inNJ

Reaction score
My KK is back, good as new, the new transmission control module did the trick and new front disc rotors fixed the shaking front end. Good for now!