New guy with an old KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayrenegade

Reaction score
Hello out there! Glad I came across this forum. I'm hoping to get some ideas and suggestions. I have an 03 Liberty Renegade that I bought in 06 and it has been a great vehicle. It is now at 205k miles and though I haven't had to have it in the shop much, I know that things are going to begin failing mechanically. Instead of replacing it with another vehicle that I don't think I'll like as much, I'm looking into options of replacing the engine and transmission to keep it on the road for another 5 years or more. I've read about a lot of complaints on the 3.7L but mine has been very dependable. My only complaint is the lack of power. I sell cars at a Dodge dealership and I love the Pentastar 3.6L in the new vehicles. Does anyone have any suggestions on either replacing the 3.7 with some aftermarket goodies to increase the power or the possibility of dropping a 3.6L in along with a transmission that will mate with the rest of the drivetrain? Obviously whatever is most cost effective would be the way to go but I am open to checking out all suggestions. Thanks!

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello out there! Glad I came across this forum. I'm hoping to get some ideas and suggestions. I have an 03 Liberty Renegade that I bought in 06 and it has been a great vehicle. It is now at 205k miles and though I haven't had to have it in the shop much, I know that things are going to begin failing mechanically. Instead of replacing it with another vehicle that I don't think I'll like as much, I'm looking into options of replacing the engine and transmission to keep it on the road for another 5 years or more. I've read about a lot of complaints on the 3.7L but mine has been very dependable. My only complaint is the lack of power. I sell cars at a Dodge dealership and I love the Pentastar 3.6L in the new vehicles. Does anyone have any suggestions on either replacing the 3.7 with some aftermarket goodies to increase the power or the possibility of dropping a 3.6L in along with a transmission that will mate with the rest of the drivetrain? Obviously whatever is most cost effective would be the way to go but I am open to checking out all suggestions. Thanks!

Deja vu!!!

Latest posts

Members online