New guy, air filter / fuel map question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

land_shark

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I got an '05 sport last Wednesday and am having an absolute blast with it!

I just found this site, and have been reading around for common mods, etc. and settled on the topic of air filters. I've gotten most of my shade-tree mechanic experience from working on motorcycles. In that world, whenever someone talks about swapping the exhaust system, or changing air filters, it's always important to either re-jet (carbs) or use a power-commander (FI) to get the most from the change in fuel/air mix. From what I've read here, this doesn't seem to be the case with the Liberty. No?

Looking forward to hanging out here, btw. Iowa has been an icy mess for the last couple weeks, so I got the 4wd just in time :) It's been great for tearing up the the corn fields, ditches, construction sites, playgrounds, courthouse front lawn... ;)

Jason

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't need to - the change would be so minimal the OEM fuel management system can easily adapt. A change in temp would affect more than the slight increase in air flow.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a point though, when intake mods exceed what the stock system can handle and there'll be a need to tweak it. Different cams, bigger throttle bodies, etc, can start to push optimization in the A/F tables. As the 3.7L aftermarket is essentially nonexistant, I don't think there's much we'd have to worry about that would mess with it.

land_shark

Reaction score
I suppose it might make more of a difference for more highly tuned engines that rev in the 12-13krpm range.

Thanks for the replies, guys!
Jason

Latest posts

Members online