New Curt Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a class three tubular Curt Hitch from J.C.Whitney for $126 shipped.

You must be registered for see images

I had a rear tow hook so I had to remove it before I could install the hitch. The hook and bracket were a lot beefier than I expected.

The install was a pain in the **** because I have the gas tank skid. It has ribs on the side that get in the way of the hitch. I was able to coax the sides of the skid plate inward with a large dead-blow rubber mallet and then all was good.

Lining everything up for the bolts was a little tricky but with a pry here and there I won in the end.

It was not the 15 minute job that the instruction sheet described but it wasn't more than an hour start to finish.

And now I have a place for a cool looking shackle.

I still have to do the wiring as soon as etrailer.com sends my parts. I would have waited and done it all at once but this was the first 70 degree day in a long time and I was itching for a project.

This was a very easy and inexpensive upgrade that I would recommend to anyone who doesn't have a hitch

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, looks good. I have a Warn shackle for my hitch also. When you put those bolts back in to hold the skid and hitch receiver a little lock tite on them is good. They should be torqued up good. They are graded bolts. That is a real pain to do by yourself. I cheeted and had my Son come over and hold up the other end when I put the skid on. It was easier with 4 hands.

There's a write up in here under "how to" I think on installing the wireing harness etc.

Dave

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
Nice, looks good. I have a Warn shackle for my hitch also. When you put those bolts back in to hold the skid and hitch receiver a little lock tite on them is good. They should be torqued up good. They are graded bolts. That is a real pain to do by yourself. I cheeted and had my Son come over and hold up the other end when I put the skid on. It was easier with 4 hands.

Dave

I remembered the lock tite blue and I even bought a torque wrench for just this occasion.
The wife came home early from work and became my other set of hands, I would have been SOL without her help.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow that hitch looks great! So much better and almost hidden.
I was planning to get all skids but I guess it will be difficult to get hitch with them, according to yours.. I don't have gas tank, so I might consider this.

Where did you order it from?

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm must be that brand of hitch that caused the problem with the skid, i have a hidden hitch brand hitch and didnt have any problems with my gas tank skid

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
hmm must be that brand of hitch that caused the problem with the skid, i have a hidden hitch brand hitch and didnt have any problems with my gas tank skid

Not much of a problem, just a little adjusting. I rarely have put anything on any vehicle going back 20 years that didn't need a little tweek.

The quality and construction of the hitch were much beefier than any others I have personally seen. As noted I would recommend it highly.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be careful with that hitch. I do not believe its a load equalizing hitch which means you cannot use a WD system. If it was, it would have 3 bolts on each side to distribute the torque that a WD system would put on it. O:)

Really clean setup though. \:D/

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Just be careful with that hitch. I do not believe its a load equalizing hitch which means you cannot use a WD system. If it was, it would have 3 bolts on each side to distribute the torque that a WD system would put on it. O:)

I didn't notice that. You're right. Mine is the factory hitch (tow package) and the hitch has 6 bolts. Looks like there's only 4 in the picture.

You know what though, I've towed 3 different boats and a camper and the KJ was fine without any WD system, so I'll bet that set up will be fine.

Dave

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
jeepjeepster said:

I didn't notice that. You're right. Mine is the factory hitch (tow package) and the hitch has 6 bolts. Looks like there's only 4 in the picture.

You know what though, I've towed 3 different boats and a camper and the KJ was fine without any WD system, so I'll bet that set up will be fine.

Dave

I called the company when I got the hitch and noticed that there were only four mounting bolts. I got to speak to their tech department and the guy assured me that the 4 bolt mounting is very strong.

I left the third bolt on each side in place during the install to hold the skid plate up for me, that is why I had to tap the skid in a little to get the hitch installed.

I need the hitch for a bike rack and a little 2000LB capacity flat material trailer so I don't have any concerns about safety. If I was even considering pulling anything close to the 5000LB Liberty weight limit I would have bought the square tube model with the 6 bolt mounting for sure. (biggthumpup)