N00b looking to buy - but concerned...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacGeek

Reaction score
Greetings all. Great forum, had to join. I'm looking at a new Rocky Mountain Edition Liberty, but am concerned about a couple of things. Please put my mind at ease, b/c I just love the thing.

My folks have a 2003 Liberty Sport, 3.7l auto. Great truck, lots of fun, but there are two issues that are bugging them and making me hesitant. The first is with the trans. On hills, while accelerating, it will attempt to downshift, slip, then the gear engages. Scary stuff. I've read about other trans issues, and someone mentioned something about a valve body that is weak that can be replaced (by the dealer) with a more robust unit to correct the problem. What's the story with this?

Second, the rear axle makes this horrible whine at speed (50 MPH+). Sounds like gear whine. If I'm cruising along, let up on the gas, it happens, but if I get back on the gas, it seems to go away. The dealer said to just drive it to let it break in, but it's made no difference. My friend with an 04 Sport doesn't have this, so I don't think it's normal. FWIW, the friend's Sport definitely doesn't have an LSD rear end, but I'm not 100% certiain about my folks' Jeep. I'm 99% sure they don't. Any sage words of advice?

TIA.

misterzero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MacGeek said:
Great truck

Well, there's your first problem. ;)

Second, the rear axle makes this horrible whine at speed (50 MPH+). Sounds like gear whine. If I'm cruising along, let up on the gas, it happens, but if I get back on the gas, it seems to go away. The dealer said to just drive it to let it break in, but it's made no difference. My friend with an 04 Sport doesn't have this, so I don't think it's normal. FWIW, the friend's Sport definitely doesn't have an LSD rear end, but I'm not 100% certiain about my folks' Jeep. I'm 99% sure they don't. Any sage words of advice?

TIA.

I had a rear axle whine on my '05 Sport for about 500 or so miles before it magically disappeared. No problems with anything since. It wasn't a problem really...just an annoyance. :p

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my '04 Limited for about 15 months now. It only has 8k on it, but no problems at all. It's quiet, no gear issues, etc. Seems to be well built so far.

The wife and I love it. We just took a day road trip with it yesterday and it's great to drive.

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, I know

Waste your money on a wrangler, or a pickup with a 4wheeler in the bed

jeepmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Hey, I know

the1jferg said:
Waste your money on a wrangler, or a pickup with a 4wheeler in the bed

Thanks for Tolling here today. We all Know no none has ever had a problem with a Wrangler or a Pickup.

I've had all 3 and I'm Happier with my Renny then any of the rest. Buy it Enjoy it.

MacGeek

Reaction score
Poking around on the board, it seems that the transmission (auto) was replaced/redesigned at one point, is that true? If so, when was the change made?

Thanks for the replies!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yes the ******'s were switched. 02's and early 03's got the 45RFE ******. Shared with some of the Dodge Ram's. I believe april 03 is the switch date. The rest of the 03's and 04's, and possible the 4 speed 05's got the 42RLE ******. Not as "beefy" as the 45, but still tough in its own. I have driven both. The 45 has noticeably different shifting points, and almost seems perky-er. the 42 shifts smoother, and still has a ton of pep to it.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
the newer trannies, from what i read are "weaker" in a sense....(modified caravan trans) but, if you havnt driven the previous one, then i dont think you'll hate it as much....LoL

the whine, i've read a lot of ppl that has had this problem, and like misterzero, it's just gone away. some have taken it back to the dealer, and they replaced the fluids...or what not...but it hasnt been a big issue to say the least....

and for the LSD..check ur freinds sport, look for a green tag...it should say the gear ratio on it...i forget what the number is....then double check it w/ ur parents tags...

oh and lastly
welcome aboard

MacGeek

Reaction score
Ok, so it looks like things should be fine then (outside of normal mass-produced-vehicle-anomalies).

Thanks for the info folks. Most helpful.

Now to find one with the right equipment...

1quick1

Reaction score
I have an 05 with 1200 miles and I'm on my second 6spd manual transmission. Should've got an auto...

2003KJ

Reaction score
I've got a 03 sport and its been a pretty damn reliable Jeep. Had a couple quirks which were handled quite quickly by the dealer. Stalling that came out of no where while shifting from reverse to drive (didn't matter if i was still crawling or sitting still).....TSB out for that, PCM flashed, all is better. Then last week that mysterious overheating I made a thread about (search mysterious overheating). Chrysler had it taken care of the same morning I brought it in. Very impresses with my dealer's actions to ensure that I am a happy camper.

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an 05 Renegade with the 6-speed manual ****** in April. I've put 3500 miles on her so far, with no issues. I dry fairly equal amounts of city/highway with lots of harsh stop and go traffic in the city. I've hauled a lot of stuff in my KJ so far, too. She was great for helping a friend move. I run an outdoors club at the highschool I work at, and my KJ has been awesome at getting all our junk out there where we need it, and the kids love it! They actually fight over who gets to ride with me! I had an absolutely great experience with my dealer too. I ended up ordering my KJ to get the manual ******, took 9 long weeks. The only real issue I've been having is bugs on my grill and windshield! Let's face it, we're all really trying to push a box through the air. Gotta love flat surfaces!....lol. (Until Grogie filled me about the Rejex polymer coating, that is. Shameless plug, I know, but it's awesome!....lol.) I've been so happy with "Libby" in fact, that two other family members of mine drove her and liked her so much they've gone out and bought KJs too. One bought and 03 Limited last month and one just picked up a CRD this weekend! Lucky jerk! I love my KJ, plain and simple. It's everything that I never knew that I always wanted and actually needed....lol. Good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide on, but let me extend a tentative welcome to our crazy little family! =)

2003KJ

Reaction score
ohh yes and of course, welcome to the family! You're one of us looneys now!!!!.....LOL

I believe it was flaren who said in another post that we're a "semi-dysfunctional little family".....LOL

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1quick1 said:
I have an 05 with 1200 miles and I'm on my second 6spd manual transmission. Should've got an auto...

That's very strange. I wouldn't be too quick to blame it on the transmission - cars are like anything else mass-produced, if it's going to fail, chances are it will fail very quickly. Probably a defect in the manufacturing that they missed somehow. How is your second transmission treating you?

(I imagine the same thing could happen with an automatic fairly easily)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
1quick1 said:

That's very strange. I wouldn't be too quick to blame it on the transmission - cars are like anything else mass-produced, if it's going to fail, chances are it will fail very quickly. Probably a defect in the manufacturing that they missed somehow. How is your second transmission treating you?

(I imagine the same thing could happen with an automatic fairly easily)

Agree. An MT should always last longer. Sounds like it was just a problem in manufacturing. It's amazing that a new car even lasts as long as they do with all of the parts and suppliers it takes. "More options, more to break," as my old man use to tell me.