My 03 KJ is killing my back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Don B

Reaction score
I also own a '90 XJ and I can't believe the difference in the rides. I had a few spine surgeries so love the height in my Jeeps (no bending to get in). I gave my KJ to my wife because the ride is so stiff that it hurts my back to ride in it. It only has 15,000 miles on it. My Cherokee on the other hand is a dream to go everywhere in. Does anyone else think that the Liberty's ride is STIFF? One last thing, the KJ rides like a dream on rough roads. Is this because of the Trail Rated Suspension? (Aeh)

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The springs on your XJ have probably soften up a bit after time and miles. The KJ probably rides and handles better because of the IFS and still relatively new supension parts(bushing, shocks, etc.)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, some ppl think the libby rides good, i think it rides good on everything but speed bumps. It does great off road, and on road, but at my college speed bumps are everywhere it i cant tell the suspension soaks anything up. Lol i kind of like it though.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be a stiff ride, but there are many that are far worse...all in all not too bad imho. \:D/

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My back hurts too. I found a small compact pillow I could use as a lumbar. Helped out a lot...

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of the seats causing back aches before, but never the ride...I guess because I got out of a pickup, I don't notice it being that harsh.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yoda13 said:
I've heard of the seats causing back aches before, but never the ride...I guess because I got out of a pickup, I don't notice it being that harsh.

You've given me a good idea there. I suggest everyone take an afternoon and go go-karting. After a few hours in those little beasts your Liberty will feel like you're riding on a cloud. \:D/

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Don B said:
I also own a '90 XJ and I can't believe the difference in the rides. I had a few spine surgeries so love the height in my Jeeps (no bending to get in). I gave my KJ to my wife because the ride is so stiff that it hurts my back to ride in it. It only has 15,000 miles on it. My Cherokee on the other hand is a dream to go everywhere in. Does anyone else think that the Liberty's ride is STIFF? One last thing, the KJ rides like a dream on rough roads. Is this because of the Trail Rated Suspension? (Aeh)

I think the *seats* in the Liberty suck, but actually I don't think the ride is all that bad for a car with the Liberty's offroad capability. I would think maybe a new set of tires geared toward ride softness would help--but that would no doubt make the car less offroad capable. You might not care about that though.

Latest posts

Members online