Mopar Class III hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how tough is the Mopar class III hitch? I am specifally speaking about the loop ring that is near the hitch receiver.

To give you a little background why I am asking, just yesterday I put on my bike hitch and decided to go biking in Manhattan. I parked my car near the West side highway since I was planning to go ride on that path. Before I started to bike, I decided to go and eat brunch at a local restaurant. Coming back from the restaurant I took my bikes for a ride and after riding my bikes I came back to my Jeep to setup the bikes onto the racks again. This time I noticed my secuirty cable has been damaged by a cutter. It wasn't noticiable until I looked directly at the cable. This most likely happened when I was eating at the restaurant someone tried to steal my bikes. So now I am off to buy a new lock, the one I am looking at is the "Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit" chain lock with an additional disc lock.

My setup here is to lock one end of the chain to the hitch loop with a disc lock and then wrapping the other end of the chain link around the bike rack and then the bikes, locking the other end with the 2nd disc lock. Think of it as a Laso.

So going back to my questions above, do you know if the class III hitch can take somewhat of a beating with say a hammer or bolt cutter or other blunt objects? I don't expect the loop to be the toughest piece of my Jeep and I would think it would be difficult for anyone to hammer it to break or see someone who can esaily fit a bolt cutter under my Jeep. Who know... let's hear what you all have to say.

This is where the incident occurred (around 12pm) - the corner of Claskson St. and Washington St.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...729543,-74.009421&spn=0.004862,0.007467&z=17

Pictures of my cables semi cut... must have been a weak thief or the theif was scared by someone and ran away.
You must be registered for see images

Typicallu this is how my bikes are locked onto my Jeep

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a good locking pin in the receiver, Master makes a nice one that is hardened steel and would be a heck of a deal to get out.

If there is a weak link a thief will find it.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend getting another Bike Rack soon or later. I noticed yours has the rubber straps that hold the bikes on. Not much protection.

The bike Rack I use has an upper plate that screws (times 2) into a lower plate that is welded to the bike rack frame. Then one of the screw handles has a key whole to lock it into the place with an additional whole in upper and lower plates in the back to put a lock through or a bike chain. I think that would be a better deterrent than chaining to a hitch.

if you wants pics let me know. :)

Also like said before. a locking pin is a must have.

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend getting another Bike Rack soon or later. I noticed yours has the rubber straps that hold the bikes on. Not much protection.

The bike Rack I use has an upper plate that screws (times 2) into a lower plate that is welded to the bike rack frame. Then one of the screw handles has a key whole to lock it into the place with an additional whole in upper and lower plates in the back to put a lock through or a bike chain. I think that would be a better deterrent than chaining to a hitch.

I'm definitely with this recommendation. That's why I don't go into the city much...

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a platform rack instead that mounts into the reciever. The down side is that it makes it a choice between the hitch or the rack. This would probbably be just another puzzle for a thief, but it doesn't have many bolt cutter friendly places. Scenario is also key. The theif will not be as prone to play his art if the setting is not as tempting. If you portray that you have a mega lock and mean business AND park in open or observable areas where it would be embarrasing or at least apparent that it was a thief you are less likely to have a problem. The new york lock is a must regardless.
I honestly doubt the hitch loop will be accessible to any handheld non-abrasive cutter.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ChiefRudy please post pictures of your rack, I think I have an idea what you have but I still want to see :) or you can point me to your make/model and I can look it up online.

As for a locking pin, I have the Thule locking pin that works with my bike hitch. It doesn't look too sturdy, but it should be enough to hopefully deter any thief. The bike hitch I have required the use of a screw pin (unsure of size), if the Master lock pin has that feature I'll take a look, but if it doesn't I can't use it.

Also the idea to lock the chain onto the hitch is to add a layer of more security. This means if the would be thief attempts to steal my bick rack with the bikes attached by breaking my pin lock, they will then need to deal with the chain/lock connected to the hitch loop.

Once I have my chain locks I'll take pictures of the setup, hopefully it will be this weekend.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChiefRudy please post pictures of your rack, I think I have an idea what you have but I still want to see :) or you can point me to your make/model and I can look it up online.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Sure thing. I'll try to get some pics tonight on here. If not tonight then tomorrow. I'm currently 166 Miles away from home and it's 3 hours back home. I'm in the middle of Horse and buggy country (which one just took a crap in the intersection. I can already see the green house effects starting from it lol). Then tonight I have a house to look at. I'll get you the make and model too.

Thanks

Last edited:

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a follow up, I received my bike chain Friday and took some pictures of my setup Saturday.

(1) My bike rack without my bicycles

(2) Chain locked to my Mopar hitch w/o bikes

(3) Chain locked to my Mopar hitch w/o bikes

(4) Chain locked to my Mopar hitch w/o bikes

(5) Secured pin lock for my bike rack

(6) Chain locked to my Mopar hitch w/ bikes - angle 1

(7) Chain locked to my Mopar hitch w/ bikes - angle 2

Any holes you guys/gals see here?

GA05SPORT

Reaction score
Well I don't live in NYC but I've had this same worry several times here in the ATL.
I use a cheap ALLEN rack that fits ( still actually even with the MT/Rs and Moabs ) on my spare. The spare has a locking lug and I have two big cable locks ( can't remember brand) that go thru both bikes the rack and the spare. If they want anything they must figure out how to take it ALL. Just my two cents.

Members online

No members online now.