Mechanical Fan to Electric Fan 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone changed there Mechanical fan on the 3.7 liter motor to a Electric fan? I have heard you can gain some hp, performance, and fuel mileage by doing this.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't you have the electric fan in addition to the mechanical fan. Ie, if you go to the HD cooling and they add the mechanical, don't they leave the electric fan present?

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct sir. I never really stuck my head in there to have a real good look under the shroud. So is there a way of dropping the mechanical fan, or is that not possible? +While I was in there I noticed I really need a new belt, so I think that will have to come first.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had both. The few hp loss is worth the extra cooling and peace of mind in the summer heat.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In theory you don't need the mechanical clutch fan on the front of your engine if you're not towing anything. But removing it will only improve you mileage & performance by a small amount.

Before you do though make sure your electric fan is actually working otherwise you'll have overheating issues.

|V3nom|

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody had any problems with running just the e-fan with the towing package? thinking about doing it to mine since i dont haul anything and would prefer small amount of power and mpgs it would add.

anybody tried towing or offroading with just the e-fan?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't towed anything with my Liberty yet, but I go offroad all the time with just the e-fan. Never had any overheating issues.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We just recently added the heavy duty mechanical clutch fan to our Rig.
And not for towing, but rather for keeping the ****** temperature down
when in the back country when we're fully loaded with camping equipment,
recovery gear, extra fuel, food, etc.
We've gotten into some really long steep accents at higher elevations and
had transmission overheating problems.
We now also have the in rad ****** cooler as well as the original stand alone
transmission cooler.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean air in through the front of the radiator and in to the engine bay. ????????