May want to check PS hose..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember someone posting something about the power steering hoses rubbing together ALONG time ago, so I took it upon myself to check mine. I found out that they were rubbing together, and they had little indentions on them from the rubbing. I bought me some 1" wrap and wrapped the hose that comes off the bottom of the power steering reservoir down to the rack. I think it will work out just fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: This is my first post on the new board!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeepster......thanks for the heads up. All of ours (3.7Liter) are probably the same then. I will check mine tomorrow. This should probably be a sticky??

Dave

2003KJ

Reaction score
Jeepster......thanks for the heads up. All of ours (3.7Liter) are probably the same then. I will check mine tomorrow. This should probably be a sticky??

Dave

Thread has been stuck. Thanks for the heads up Blake, looks like i'll be checking mine tomorrow.

Just had my head under there today and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, although I didn't pay much attention to the power steering.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way the hoses are ran on some libertys may be different than others. Mine doesnt have the power steering cooler and one with it may have a different route.. Not to sure..

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to the dealer, show them and have them re-route AND replace the line. Once a line starts to chaff or show signs of wear, it has to be changed. A back yard mechanic fix using 1" wrap as suggested, is not the way to go.

Anyone who has this issue, should also go online to the NHTSA site and fill out a short report. Lines should not be rubbing together for any reason. You may have noticed it, and gave us a heads up, but there are still many KJ owners out there who will never know about it until a recall or bulletin is issued.

The same thing happened on my Crossfire on the radiator hose. They ended up doing a recall.

Thanks for the information....

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to the dealer, show them and have them re-route AND replace the line. Once a line starts to chaff or show signs of wear, it has to be changed. A back yard mechanic fix using 1" wrap as suggested, is not the way to go.

Haha, thanks for shooting me down! :)

My Jeep isnt under warranty any longer and they would probably just look at me kinda weird if I told them to change them out.

The 1" wrap will do just fine for me.. ohh, I was in the driveway when I put that on.. Not the back yard. :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the hose that is going up, directly in front of the wrapped PS hose.

The smaller hose(1/2in or so) is the vent from the front diff that attaches to the bottom of the battery tray. The other small wire wrap has wires going to my hellas and the other two hoses (3/4in or so) are other power steering hoses.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, thanks for shooting me down! :)

My Jeep isnt under warranty any longer and they would probably just look at me kinda weird if I told them to change them out.

The 1" wrap will do just fine for me.. ohh, I was in the driveway when I put that on.. Not the back yard. :)
No intent to shoot you down, sorry if you took it that way. All I'm saying is, if a lot of people are having the problem then it could turn into a safety issue or a recall. But if you don't document, nothing will come of it. Your vehicle doesn't have to be under warranty to get fixed by a recall.

Yeah, you got me there. I guess I stepped on your toes if you're a front yard mechanic... there is a diffference.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No intent to shoot you down, sorry if you took it that way. All I'm saying is, if a lot of people are having the problem then it could turn into a safety issue or a recall. But if you don't document, nothing will come of it. Your vehicle doesn't have to be under warranty to get fixed by a recall.

Yeah, you got me there. I guess I stepped on your toes if you're a front yard mechanic... there is a diffference.

Haha! yes, there is a big difference in a back yard and front yard mechanic! :)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The smaller hose(1/2in or so) is the vent from the front diff that attaches to the bottom of the battery tray.

OMG!! Thank you so much!! I did not know where to put it and was like WTF is this cable here. I just laid it back down. I found it after looking at my PS hoses this morning. I now remember it was removed when I took the battery out and it was obviously never re-attached. I am going to set it back up finally. LOL .......... :) :)