Maintenance Time!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went and changed my oil yesterday and I found major nasty grime stuck on the throttle body (I took off the hose to see what buildup may have occured). I then figured that maybe I need to clean it out, then I thought maybe I need to have my entire fuel system flushed or something.

I have 48000 miles on it and havn't done that. Should I just clean the Throttle body or take it to a shop to have them do a Fuel Clean?

Thanks all for the advice!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Get you a bottle of BG44K and run it though your gas tank. Its not typically found in your local auto store. It's usually a dealership thing. I found the Mazda place around the corner from my house had it, and it typically runs $20 a can + tax. Expensive little bugger, but damn it does a good job. Go here to find a shop closest to you. If there isn't one, do a google or yahoo search, or better yet, ask Bennett, he ordered his online. As with any other injector cleaner, run the tank down, add the stuff, and fill er up.

Most of the time this stuff is sold in a Pack that costs like $75 that is part of a entire fuel system cleaner. Some of the quickie places don't like to sell just the cleaner cause they have to break into the whole pack, and I was quoted like $40 for just one can. Your best bet is to find a dealership near you, and give them a call to see if they sell just the can. Most will be happy to do it for you.

I ran a bottle through mine about 6K ago (20K) and noticed a difference almost as soon as i left the gas station. Idle smoothed out a bit and she felt spunkier than before, like the day I got her.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Get you a bottle of BG44K and run it though your gas tank. Its not typically found in your local auto store. It's usually a dealership thing. I found the Mazda place around the corner from my house had it, and it typically runs $20 a can + tax. Expensive little bugger, but damn it does a good job. Go here to find a shop closest to you. If there isn't one, do a google or yahoo search, or better yet, ask Bennett, he ordered his online. As with any other injector cleaner, run the tank down, add the stuff, and fill er up.

Most of the time this stuff is sold in a Pack that costs like $75 that is part of a entire fuel system cleaner. Some of the quickie places don't like to sell just the cleaner cause they have to break into the whole pack, and I was quoted like $40 for just one can. Your best bet is to find a dealership near you, and give them a call to see if they sell just the can. Most will be happy to do it for you.

I ran a bottle through mine about 6K ago (20K) and noticed a difference almost as soon as i left the gas station. Idle smoothed out a bit and she felt spunkier than before, like the day I got her.

Run some fuel system cleaner in there and you can try just spraying some carb/throttle body cleaner right into the throttle body. The build up is causes by some oil coming up through the PCV valve, no big deal every vehicle will do it. If you want to elimianate it you would need to install something like an oil catch can inbetween the throttle body and pcv valve.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blckkj said:
So I went and changed my oil yesterday and I found major nasty grime stuck on the throttle body (I took off the hose to see what buildup may have occured). I then figured that maybe I need to clean it out, then I thought maybe I need to have my entire fuel system flushed or something.

I have 48000 miles on it and havn't done that. Should I just clean the Throttle body or take it to a shop to have them do a Fuel Clean?

Thanks all for the advice!

The following is a thread on JU that I found interesting. Scroll down to approx the 12th post (pmbrauer 10/22, 19:52 hrs) entitled throttle body - clean the whole thing. I believe his experience pertains to the 4.7L, which is the 3.7 sibling. I'm not suggesting that you DIY, but after reading this it did inspire me to at least check out the TB a bit more.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681252

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some Seafoam, run half the bottle in the tank the other half slowly run through the TB and intake with the motor running ( and it will smoke alot lol ).

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. I printed the info on JU from the above link (thanks CHUD).

After doing some research I have read that major dirtiness in the TB can lead to heavy vehicle troubles.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle Body Buildup

Cheep spray carb cleaner and a toothbrush will do the trick to clean the stuff out.