Lubricant for transmission KJ 2005 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivanovando

Reaction score
hello.
I need help about lubricant for my Jeep KJ 2005 (Liberty)
People of service station changed the fluid of my transmission. Fabricant (Chrysler recommend ATF +4) however they put DEXRON III Mercon.
What can I do? Replace again the fluid ?

Can i keep my KJ with this fluid (DEXRON III Mercon). I need your best comments

thanks a lot
ivan

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep you need to get that DEXIII out ASAP and replace with ATF+4.A transmission flush is the only way to completely remove the DEXIII.You will destroy the transmission with the incorrect fluid like DEXIII.DEXIII is not synthetic like ATF+4 and does not include the same additive package that our transmissions need and were designed for.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
THERE IS NO UNIVERSAL TRANSMISSION FLUID HERE. DO NOT USE DEXTRON!

Don't just assume your mechanic or dealer knows what fluid to use. Ask them what they will use and make sure it's the right one. (Some people recommend watching the mechanic pour it in, and for good reason! I have been told about mechanics who said they were using +4 when they were not. Is a customer's transmission worth the $10 for better fluid?)

All Chrysler four-speed automatic transmissions are very sensitive to the quality of the transmission fluid. Only use Type 9606 (ATF +4) in 2000 and up models. Do not use Dexron or Mercon.

Often, people can cure their transmission problems simply by changing the fluid! If you suspect (or know) they have put Dextron in, invest the $40 or so to have it replaced immediately - otherwise, you'll have a nice big transmission bill!

There is no universal automatic transmission fluid. Chrysler four-speed automatics only use Type 9606 for 2000 and up vehicles, regardless of what the dipstick or owner's manual says. If you don't have any problems until you have your car serviced, what does that tell you?

WHY? Beides +4 being a Synthetic; the friction characteristics of DEXTRON are different from +4. It is what you would call, a "grabbier" fluid. The Chrysler transmission has an electronic system which continuously senses the behavior of the transmission, and regulates shifts accordingly. If DEXTRON is used, the clutches will "grab", and the electronic controls, which sample the operation of the transmission about 140-180 times a second, will let up on the clutches. The clutches will then slip excessively, and the TCM will try to tighten up on them, and due to the characteristics of DEXTRON, they will again grab. This will occur at the 140-180 times per second rate, and the transmission will have a shuddering feel to the shifting. Plus, these transmissions will apply one clutch while releasing the other, simultaneously. All this very ******* the clutches with Dextron, and they will have a shorter life. The cost to overhaul one of these transmissions is about $1200-$1400 on a front-drive car, let alone a 4x4 system; so you DO NOT want to shorten its life.

If you need to add a pint of fluid and +4 is not available, drive a few miles to the next place which has it. This will be less harmful than using DEXTRON.

If a mechanic says he can substitute a little DEXTRON and it won't do any harm, LEAVE!

If someone says he can use DEXTRON, plus an "anti-friction additive" in your Chrysler transmission, LEAVE!

If you have some DEXTRON lying around from your old Chrysler, give it away to some friend with a GM or late Ford car.

If somebody puts DEXTRON in, take it to a shop which uses +4, and have them drain the ENTIRE transmission, and refill with +4. This will cost about $80.00.

Last edited: