lift advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieseledkj

Reaction score
Newbie here, I'm looking at adding a little lift in order to clear a larger tire. I want to do a complete lift but the funds arn't there right now. I'm thinking about a 3 washer clevis lift and adding 2 spring isolaters on each side. I'm looking at a couple of tires sizes (Toyo 235/75/16 - Toyo/AT2 245/70/16 - Toyo/AT2 245/75/16) any advice would be helpful.

kc7jlm

Reaction score
I have a Rocky Road Outfitter Rockfather lift on mine and it has been exceptional. I have been on some 8+ rated trails with it and have no issues. I can think of a better lift for $400. You do not need to change anything. This lift uses OME spring and a 1/2" steel spacer up front and a spacer in the rear. It is very easy to install, just need to rent a strut compressor from the local auto parts store. Only took about 4 hrs.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW....In the next few weeks here, I will be putting on Rusty's .75" front spacer (from what I read, yields between 7/8"-1.5" of lift). I may do a clevis lift too. I just ordered 2 sets of isolators for the rear. I'm going to play around to get the highest combination I can without the rear end looking like it's sagging.

From what I am told, that will clear 245/75/16's. Time will tell...I have 4500 miles on my KJ right now, so I won't be getting tires for a while...can't justify the cost when mine are so new, and even if I could, they aren't in the budget after my down payment.

I think you could also do the 1.5" or the larger (2" or 2.5"?) Daystar lift for about $200-$250 max. I am not sure how much ride quality suffers. For me, I figure the small extra lift in the actual front strut assembly shouldn't tax the strut too badly, and then if needed I'll do a clevis lift too.

FWIW, I spent $25 on the .75" spacer, and $50 on the two sets of rear isolators. Clevis, I want to see how it sits like this, and then I'll judge if I need it or not. I won't be using the conduit nuts, I plan on making some out of plate steel.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newbie here, I'm looking at adding a little lift in order to clear a larger tire. I want to do a complete lift but the funds arn't there right now. I'm thinking about a 3 washer clevis lift and adding 2 spring isolaters on each side. I'm looking at a couple of tires sizes (Toyo 235/75/16 - Toyo/AT2 245/70/16 - Toyo/AT2 245/75/16) any advice would be helpful.

you will be fine with 235/75's and 245/70's but you will not fit 245/75's and be able to drive it like that

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I see folks talking spacers and using stock struts with new springs
this is all bad
if you have a crd then that is just bad news but IIRC OME makes a CRD spring
if you have a gaser then you are in luck
get your self some new springs and new struts/shocks and be done
remember that "less is more" but cheeper is not always the way to go
You can run OME springs Rancho struts/shocks and 245/75's on stock rims with very little rub at full stuff

Yes you "CAN" get 2"+ of lift from spacers with your OE springs and struts but that will preload them and "prewear" them wich means that in a few thousand miles you will need to replace them
OTT lifts put some strange sress on the ball joints wich statisticaly they fail
shortly after

you can run 245/75's with 1.5" of lift OVER NEW STOCK ,OME springs,
some have run larger but they are few
if 245/75's are what you want then why push for more lift?
The KJ is IFS so unlike a TJ more lift will not give more flex but will give more issues
if you want a more "trail worthy" KJ get a modest spring lift in the $500 range with new struts and shocks slap on some CHEEP 245/75's
then save your money and lock the rear
This is the route I am on and all I have left is to
1) get the wife a new DD/tow rig for the TJ
2) get a locker for the KJ
3) get the rest of the things on a loooooooooooog list of things to get

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You don't need a lift to fit 245/70/16....so that saves alot of money right there.

Lewii

Reaction score
I used the Revtek 2" kit, I have 245-75's on right now. It looks great, no rub at all. The kit says it will allow 265-70 but I'm not sure they would work. The only thing I notice is the tires "growl" a little when turning sharp at low speed, say in a parking lot, but that is from the wider footprint, not the heighth.