Libby Transmission

Is your transmission....

• 6 speed (as soon as they are available)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Renegade with the 6-speed manual. I have to say, I love it. I did my test driving on an auto, though, because there weren't any other manuals near me. I did have to special order for the manual, which took nine agonizing weeks (which I'm sure veryone here can tell you about....LOL). I love ripping through the gearbox, though. This is my first manual, but i think I'm hooked for life now....hehe.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flaren said:
I have a 2005 Renegade with the 6-speed manual. I have to say, I love it. I did my test driving on an auto, though, because there weren't any other manuals near me. I did have to special order for the manual, which took nine agonizing weeks (which I'm sure veryone here can tell you about....LOL). I love ripping through the gearbox, though. This is my first manual, but i think I'm hooked for life now....hehe.

Flaren, do you have to use 1st to start off? Is geared low enough that you can use 2nd just fine? What speed to you usually go into 6th at?

I drove my father-in-law's diesel MT 2500 RAM and I had to use 6th at 55 mph. 1st was only for towing...

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually start off in 1st, but if I'm rolling a tiny bit, I'll shift her into 2nd. If I start in 2nd from a complete stop, she grumbles and sputters for a bit until it picks up. I usually hit 6th anywhere between 60 and 70. Keep in mind though, this is my first manual and I'm still learning all the ins and outs....lol. At 70 in 6th, she sits at about 2400 rpms, not too bad I guess. Haven't tried towing with her yet, either.

P.S. Jon, my KJ does have CC with the manual. I thought it was a little weird at first.....lol. I actually never use it though. She's only got 2700 miles on her as of this week, so I'm still trying to vary things and baby her a little.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flaren said:
I usually start off in 1st, but if I'm rolling a tiny bit, I'll shift her into 2nd. If I start in 2nd from a complete stop, she grumbles and sputters for a bit until it picks up. I usually hit 6th anywhere between 60 and 70. Keep in mind though, this is my first manual and I'm still learning all the ins and outs....lol. At 70 in 6th, she sits at about 2400 rpms, not too bad I guess. Haven't tried towing with her yet, either.

It sounds like you are doing just fine! I bet it is fun to drive! Some 6 speeds are just geared real low for towing, like the RAM I mentioned. When I drove it, I had to start off in 2nd, and when making a left turn at a light, I had to shift to 3rd in the turn! A lot to remember, but fun!

1quick1

Reaction score
I have the six speed and yea I have cruise control. This is my third MT car and they all had cruise. When cruising around the city I'll go in 6th as low as 40mph. The manual says that's okay for cruising just not accelerating.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
They changed the ****** somewhere in '03. Most people have commented that it's smaller, not as rugged and it always hunting for the right gear. I do know that because it's smaller and with the possibility of overheating, they now include the ****** cooler as standard equipment (it was an option on the older "beefier" ******).

How do you guys find out about the little differences in the Liberties as the years went on? Is this all documented in one place or is this just acquired knowledge over time?

Just bought an '02 Limited (auto) and it would be interesting to get "in the know" about all that.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Alot of it is experience with so many different KJ's. Alot of people do their own work and such on their Jeeps and when they say "my ****** took this much according to my manual" and someone else says "well mine took this much according to my manual" usually means their different....lol. Also the window stickers list which ****** is in it. Be it the 45 or the 42. Plus there's also some sites on the internet that are "in the know" as you say with DCX.

You've got an 02, so you have the 45RFE ******. Or in Laymans terms, the beefier ******.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
there are various sources in the web, and pretty much exposure to places such as this. lot's of owners+lots of experiences=more knowledgable owner

stick around, you'll end up gaining everything else most of us have...

MNMiata

Reaction score
Another automatic here.

We went with the Automatic... simply because we could not find a 5-speed V-6 anywhere.

Ours is a 2002, so maybe the manuals were just not readily available yet (I have seen them since). But either way, when we decided to buy, there were no manual transmissions in V-6s anywhere to be found.

The automatic is growing on me, but I still prefer a manual transmission for the way it feels directly connected to the engine and drivetrain. I don't like that "slushbox" feel when the automatic is starting out or shifting. And, the stumble/delay as the transmission decides to kick down at highway speeds is annoying.

Did I say it was growing on me? Well it doesn't much sound like it does it? I guess it's just for lazy convenience that I am growing more accustomed to the automatic. It was indispensable in keeping me mobile when I broke my left foot though!

MTL_Liberty

Reaction score
auto transmissions

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 42 and 45?
I have the 45RFE. Is this ****** prone to any particular problems?

2003KJ

Reaction score
The main difference is strength. The 45 is a stronger ****** in sense, but both are fairly equal for what most of the KJ's see (mal crawlin). With that said, if I had a choice, I'd go with the 45. The 45 is quite the clunky ******. The 42 on the other hand, while still clunky at times, is not nearly as bad. The shift points (mainly 2nd to 3rd) are much shorter under normal acceleration with the 45.

If you want to, some day, pop into a used car lot or something and test drive a late 03 or 04 just for the hell of it and you'll notice a difference. IMO, the KJ seems happier with the 45.