Less than Flattering Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeeping

Reaction score
I didn't have to read the review.... I saw Motor Trend and knew where these folks were coming from.... I have subscribed to there's and other auto magazines.

Jeeps and Pickup trucks do not fit their view of vehicles and it's like a fish trying to describe and elephant. They just don't seem to have a clue what they are doing....

I guess they do alright describing Volvos, Camaro's, Audi/s and such perhaps and even all wheel drive cars.

Jeeps n Trucks....fogedaboudit!!! :-$

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
it is the oldest.....out of the bunch.....

all that matters is, we love it....plain and simple...

Yep. I do agree that car magazines should stick to cars adn truck magazines should stick to trucks. I never understand how anyone who gets paid to drive cars like Maseratis and BMWs could then get into a more average (a KJ isnt average) car and then offer an objective opinion.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that magazine with that article in it.

I must say that I agree with them about some of the stuff. When jeep was forced to lower the libby, it took away alot of its off-road ability. If they offered a selectable locker, lift, and maybe some bigger tires, the libby would be much better off-road. I would take my libby up against any of those and I can guarantee I could beat everyone of them. A rig is built, not bought. 8-[

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Runt, huh? OK, I'll give'em that, it is the lowest, smallest of the bunch. But in all the wheelin' I've done since I bought my KJ I have seen one (1) H3 on the trail and no X-terrorists. Can't say anything about the FJ since it is pretty new ('cept that I don't care for its looks). So I may be the runt, but at least I'm out there wheelin' the wheels off \:D/

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less than stellar ground clearance, little bitty tires, lack of a locker, and dismal power show that the Liberty in stock form is more Mall than Crawl. There review seemed pretty truthfull to me.

Now why you would put a 4x4 Ute on a skidpad is beyond me.

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen that review in the actual magazine and on the site as well and im not sure if anyone else noticed but um.....some of the off road capabilities are limited by the fact that they didnt REMOVE the stock running boards :-s !! It says it CLEARLY in the owners manual that they are not meant for OFF ROAD USE!! I have a renegade and i take them off when i go out 4wheelin (i havent and they really do get in the way). So just my rant on that article. Oh and also if you have ever read those magazines...apparently if the vehicle isnt a honda or acura it might as well be CRAP!! according to them!!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motor Trend and Consumer Reports act like a juvenile in heat when they describe honda and toyota driving experiences. You need to consider the source.

Gatorator

Reaction score
I wonder how the CRD with the five speed and Select Trak would have worked out?

moose

Reaction score
All I can say is that they should have used the 6spd. I didn't realize how bad the accel. was for you guys with autos. The 6spd (can anyone drive a manual any more?) is VERY peppy. (not take on firebirds peppy, but smack any of the numbers for the Xterra or FJ peppy). And, you have to admit that it takes a few weeks to get used to the central window switches.

I also see that they didn't get the off-road group, otherwise they would have had 235's (and maybe not skid plates or rock rails either - the ground clearance numbers may just be from the IFS arms - ouch). I

Jeep needs to have a REAL off-road package...

Gatorator

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the big deal is with the window controls on the centre console. Mercedes seem to think they work well there so why the bitch?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But if you do compare the KJ's options to the options from the other competitors, we do favor less than any of them. So to take a bone stock KJ and compare it to X-Terra, H3, and FJ was a little bold. I didn't see a Escape, Blazer (<--do they make these still??).

I was then going to compare costs until I realized that there is not a significant variation of cost (except for the H3) when comparing bone stock vehicles. I mean the KJ starts aroun 20K, X-Terra 20K, FJ 21K, H3 28K.

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i apologize jeepjeepster you are correct looking quickly they looked very familiar to what i have on mine :-#

jarvis

Reaction score
Obviously, it all depends on what you are looking for.

I wanted a smaller, more maneuverable vehicle for the city, especially since most of the time I'll be parallel parking on narrow, crowded city streets. Cross off the H3.

I wanted four real doors. Cross off the FJ Cruiser.

I wanted an engine that requires regular 87 octane gasoline. Cross off the FJ Cruiser and (contrary to what the spec chart in the review says) the Xterra.

I wanted a sunroof. Cross off the Xterra.

I wantes something that looked like what an adult would drive, not like a Tonka truck. Cross off the FJ Cruiser and H3.

And definitely wanted the availability of full-time four wheel drive (a la Selec-trac). Cross off the FJ Cruiser, the Xterra and (I think) the H3.

Hello Libby.