Leak underneath Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fourpaw

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2005 Liberty 4x4 limited with about 107k. We've owned it about 6 months, it's my wife's car.

The power steering is starting to go so I've been looking over all the lines/pump/pulley for what it looks like I will need to order.

I did notice something though, there is a pretty greasy spot directly underneath the alternator. There does not appear to be a culprit like I was able to identify with the PS earlier today. Any ideas what is in an around that area? I see the water pump is directly below the alternator, but this greasy spot does not make it down quite that far.

Thanks for all the help.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is it on the ground? At 108k my water pump took a shit.
You must be registered for see images attach

The hard thing about leaking fluids in the front is that 3/6 of the fluids are the same color (red-pink-orange ish- coolant, ATF+4, which is in the ****** and PS system).

Last edited:

Fourpaw

Reaction score
Is it on the ground? At 108k my water pump took a shit.
You must be registered for see images attach

The hard thing about leaking fluids in the front is that 3/6 of the fluids are the same color (red-pink-orange ish- coolant, ATF+4, which is in the ****** and PS system).

No it is leaking from the top side. I peaked around up there and the only thing I can find is the water temp. sensor. I think I'll order a new one since they are only about 15 bucks shipped, and start with that.

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. The water pump is easy in comparison to the power steering issue. The PS system is high pressure, and the hoses are special items- meaning you just can't get them at an auto parts store, Jeep items.
I went through this recently. I had to bring it to a mechanic, being that I don't have a spot where I can really tear into a project.