leak from muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for muffler to be leaky, or is there a crack on it..
Normally I get water discharged from the exhaust tip most of the time (maybe cheap gas) but yesterday when the tank was at empty and when I pulled at the gas station I notice water running from somewhere underneath, when I pointed the flashlight noted the drips were originated from the muffler, front end. Did I hit and crack it, if so any problems I should be worried about?

I was testing the A/C beforehands for about a minute, but normally A/C drain shouldn't be anywhere near muffler.. (Aeh)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phew, thanks.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Quick lesson here....dont be offended by this as i'm not calling you stupid or anything, but this is a common question, and a good one at that.

Water is a by-product of internal combustion. You'll see water running out of exhaust pipes in the morning, or after an engine has sat for a while and cooled off and is in the process of warming back up. THIS IS COMPLETELY NORMAL. Marlon is correct, there is a tiny hole in every muffler (even aftermarket ones) to allow some of this water to drip out. You'll only see it coming out of the muffler hole while sitting idle, as your driving down the road, the water is obviously forced out of the exhaust pipe.

Did you drive a very short distance and not let the engine get warmed up? This is generally when you see it.

This is also the reason why short distance trips are ****** for an engine. The condensation that also builds up in the crankcase needs to be burned off by the engine heat, and unless you get it up to operating temp and it has a chance to be there for a while, the water never really burns off, and this is how engine sludge is formed (but synthetic oils help to cut back on the amount that builds up).

Also, not getting the engine up to full temp doesn't give the water a chance to evaporate off of the exhaust pipe, and when that water just sits there, over time, it will begin to prematurely rust through your exhaust pipe.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you calling me stupid?

j/k
thanks for the information, when I first got my jeep it was cold and when I got out of my jeep after warming it I noticed a dark spot on the snow right by the exhaust tip, I was pretty scared with all the water, and stain coming out the tip. After a few more drives, I realized it was probably water and nothing serious. I never drove my jeep for a short distance and stopped, therefore I never saw the water coming out of the muffler, I realized it was water, but didn't think of a hole there, and immediately thought I cracked it! #-o

I was getting ready for a 20 mile trip and I had to go get gas first, fill it up, come back and after about an hour leave again. Maybe I should have waited until I was ready to leave to fill up, because probably then I had the water sitting as you explained, but hopefully had its chance to evaporate when I drove it out.

why would anyone get offended by that? it is good piece of info. :) thanks.

2003KJ

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
why would anyone get offended by that? it is good piece of info. :) thanks.

your welcome.....and expect a bill in the mail to follow....LOL j/k \:D/

Latest posts

Members online