knocking noise every 5 seconds or so

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just got an oil change on my 2005 jeep liberty 3.7, all of a sudden i hear a knock from the engine area. It is like every 5 seconds or so I hear this knock (only can hear if by a building or with hood up) and it sounds like the engine is losing power, almost like when the fan kicks on but this happens over and over...1 knock it SEEMS like its losing power (quiets down) then 5 seconds later another knock then it goes back to normal and does this over and over. Does not get worse while driving around, Any ideas? Ill be taking it in first thing in the morning.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe 3 days to Halloween, the Jeep is playing a trick on you! :gr_grin:
Knockin is not good. Try a different oil filter.
What oil weight and what brand of oil filter was used on Jeep anyways...??

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason for the power loss is due to the engine's knock sensor picking up the vibration and retarding the ignition timing. That cause and effect is normal, but whatever is causing the knock isn't. Since this happened right after the oil change, look into that as LTC suggested.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both over filling and Under filling can cause your symptom, since you had a place do your oil you may wana check their work asap

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is not as bad as i thought, it is the AC compressor seizing up, off to get a bypass pully....no AC for me! I feel dumb now, i looked all around under the hood and the problem was right in my face the whole time lol

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is not as bad as i thought, it is the AC compressor seizing up, off to get a bypass pully....no AC for me! I feel dumb now, i looked all around under the hood and the problem was right in my face the whole time lol
I've seen some info kicking around about replacing the clutch rather than the entire ac unit.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's easier to run a shorter belt and bypass the AC pulley, which is what I did.