keys..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003renegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2003 liberty and was wondering if there was a way to convert my key fob to the newer style, where it is all on the key. can anyone help? if so where do i get the newer jeep key fob?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The general consensus is that it......

Can't be done. This came up before, and this was the answer.

Well theoretically it can be done as the physical metal keys are the same, but the Keyless Entry transmitter will not work as they're two different systems.

Enjoy the key you have as IMO... the new key is too bulky and annoying...

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My feelings exactly, I don't like the all in one, rather have a fob and a key.

SoDakJeep

Reaction score
haha you think thats bad the big key fob is easier to break and then you have no way of putting the key on your key ring and end up losing it like me. Also I am not sure why but i have just a spare key no fob what would you use that for>?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The keyfob is used to remotely unlock and lock the doors.

... however...

If you were sick of the fob and key, the solution there is to purposefully BREAK the metal key from the plastic fob, and create a key using a programmed non-fob Sentry Key.

So now you have a key and a fob, separately. :)

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2003 liberty and was wondering if there was a way to convert my key fob to the newer style, where it is all on the key. can anyone help? if so where do i get the newer jeep key fob?

Even if you could do this, it'd be hella-expensive. Have you seen the cost to replace a lost keyfob with a new, like model? $300. Often more. So even if you could swap to a new style, it'd probably cost you $500. Not sure how much getting a different shape and location of button is worth to you, but to me? I'll soldier on with the old style.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a cash cow for the car manufacturers. As usual, the consumer is RIPPED OFF. I'm glad I don't need one of those magic new fangled car keys.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are stuck with the 02-04 key and fob. I have the 05-07 one and it blows so you are lucky.

I liked it better when you could get a key made anywhere for 99 cents. To heck with all this electronic alarm crap. You mess with my jeep - you get 00 buck.

Of course, this is only my opinion.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online