Keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Webster

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2002 Liberty, and the dealership only had one key. Went to Wal-Mart and had two keys made. The new keys start the vehicle, but it shut off after a few seconds. How do I correct this problem?

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color is your original key? If it is grey you have a sentry key system. You will need to go to the dealership and have one made. The key has a chip in it that is programmed to your computer.

Webster

Reaction score
Key

Thanks for getting back to me.... My luck, its grey.

:-s

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04RkMtnKJ said:
What color is your original key? If it is grey you have a sentry key system. You will need to go to the dealership and have one made. The key has a chip in it that is programmed to your computer.
Just to further this bit of info...
You'll also have to prove you're the registered owner of the vehicle. Make sure you bring the ownership and some ID.
After all the dealership shouldn't just go making a key for anyone!

dnm45227

Reaction score
You may want to have them help you "program" the chip in the key as well. It's the least they can do for what they are going to charge you.

Webster

Reaction score
I called the dealer, and they are sending me to a locksmith to have th3e key made. $25.00 a pop. I then must take the keys and vehicle to the dealer to have it programmed. I only have one key. The reason I am stating this is because I called another locksmith to check the cost of duplication, and they told me I must have to original keys to make a duplicate.

Any views on this issue will help me.

Webster

Reaction score
I called the dealer, and they are sending me to a locksmith to have th3e key made. $25.00 a pop. I then must take the keys and vehicle to the dealer to have it programmed. I only have one key. The reason I am stating this is because I called another locksmith to check the cost of duplication, and they told me I must have to original keys to make a duplicate.

Any views on this issue will help me.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid dealer???

#-o
Your dealer is either inept or full of $hi*, or maybe both. They should be able to get the keys for you, cut them there, and program the BCM for you. If they're giving you the runaround on that, it would be a red-flag for me to say that they might not be the best dealership.

Now you might get a better price for blanks on ebay, but thats not my point. The jeep dealer *MIGHT* have to order the keyblanks for you, but they *SHOULD* have them in stock. I'd find another dealer if you can, and call their service department and ask them.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

-Blu

Latest posts

Members online