Keyless on 03 models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimheem

Reaction score
OK Guys.. One more question before I go buy this KJ this afternoon, then I can start picking your brains over every other little problem I come up with (hopefully none!)

Anyway.. Thanks for the help choosing the 03 over the 04 model, I think you've helped me make a good choice.

One issue on the 03, is the dealer does not seem to have the keyless entry remotes. Did they all come from the factory with keyless entry? Or was it an option? Is there any way to tell if it came with keyless but maybe the remote is just missing? I'm not buying from a Jeep dealer, it's at a Chevy dealer on trade, so they know about as much as I do about it.

I can always make them install an aftermarket system as part of the deal, but if it just needs a remote I'd just as well have them get me the remote.

Thanks

2003KJ

Reaction score
I believe they all came with keyless....but I could be wrong there.

I know there is a difference in the keyless, vs. the sentry system (the sentry system is an actual alarm system, where as regular keyless is just one of those "fake" alarms).

One way to determine, e-mail Chrysler with the last 8 digits of your VIN to get a build sheet with a list of all the options your KJ came with from factory (or I believe you can stop by any Chrysler dealer and they can run one on site.) If it turns out you have it, tell the Chevy dealer to reimburse you for the purchase of two new remotes, as well as their programming (programming has to be done at the Chrysler dealership, and is quite expensive)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get 2 keys with it especially if it has the alarm system.

Like 2003kj said, you can go to any jeep dealer and give them the last 8 of the vin# and they can print a "build sheet" in 30 seconds. Don't tell them it's not yours. I don't know if that makes a difference but they printed one for me with no questions asked.

Good luck,
Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention, make sure you get the owners manual. It will or should be in a green burlap type case and kind of hidden in a compartment above the glove-box. If you are not looking for it you will never see it. Open the glove compartment and look/feel above the main glove box and it should be there. You'll never know it's there otherwise.

Dave

Blue KJ in PA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 03 in 04 it only had one keyless transmitter and three keys. I asked for another one and the dealer pulled one from parts department.