K&N cold intake & air filter--effect on cabin noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering making these upgrades to attempt to squeeze a little more gas mileage out of the Liberty--but it won't be worth it if the result is really obnoxious cabin noise.

Some like a loud growling engine, that's not something I'm looking for in the Liberty though. And actually the V6 seems to have enough kick to it; would mostly be doing it in the hopes of getting a couple more MPG.

So has anyone put this in? How severe was the engine noise increase?

Thanks!

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the K&N Panel filter. And I noticed no noise increase. I did notice a increase in sound with my new Edelbrock SDT Muffler system, and HP!

But you didn't say what year Liberty you have. 04, versus 02, 03's have a IAT sensor near the throttle body. That needs to be accounted for by the intake system, if not then the computer won't be getting the air intake temp. I believe, but am not sure, the 04 K&N Fipk does take this into account, but nothing on Ebay does, and the 02's, 03's do not. If the tube does not form an "S" coming from the throttle body to the front corner, it's the wrong year.
Hope that helped.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have an '02--thanks!

Trodo said:
I have the K&N Panel filter. And I noticed no noise increase. I did notice a increase in sound with my new Edelbrock SDT Muffler system, and HP!

But you didn't say what year Liberty you have. 04, versus 02, 03's have a IAT sensor near the throttle body. That needs to be accounted for by the intake system, if not then the computer won't be getting the air intake temp. I believe, but am not sure, the 04 K&N Fipk does take this into account, but nothing on Ebay does, and the 02's, 03's do not. If the tube does not form an "S" coming from the throttle body to the front corner, it's the wrong year.
Hope that helped.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh duh... Forgot to look at the sig.
You can get pretty much anything out there, but a short feed tube and full replacement including the resonator box will bank about a dozen horses.
Then there's the +$200 price.
Here's a link with all the current "factory" models. Meaning not the ones from some guy in his garage with a tube bender.
Oh yeah, let me mention one more thing. I did have a complete air intake kit on a previous vehicle. You will hear it in the cabin. But it's nothing that won't blend into the background after a couple of days.

http://www.truckperformance.com/pro...mance/sf1_JEEP/sf2_2002/sf3_Liberty/sf4_3.7l/