Jeep Starts but Dies Immediately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wahnsinn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've got an '02 Liberty 6cyl that will start, but dies immediately. If I start with my foot on the gas (lightly) it will stay going, but once I release the gas it stops again. At one point, I had it going long enough that it seemed to keep running, enough at least to back it out of the garage, since then it's doing the same thing though.

I checked the fuel line, looks ok (must be ok too if I'm able to keep my foot on and it runs). I believe I checked all the hoses coming into the intake manifold, didn't see anything wrong with those. No codes coming up on the code reader (or check engine light).

Any other thoughts? It was running fine previously, had it in the garage for maybe a few weeks, now she doesn't like me.

Thanks for any help!

Tim

pssbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say check your battery. I had the same issue with mine and a new battery took care of it.

Wahnsinn

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. She hesitates a little (and has been lately) before starting. I also checked the battery terminals, corroded (nice Smurf blue on there). I've found lately too that the trip meter on the ceiling (trip meter, avg MPG, etc) have been resetting to zero almost every time I shut her off.

So I guess I'll try that, it's been about 4 years or so since a new battery anyways, probably time for a new one.

Any other thoughts assuming it's not the battery?

Thanks again for the help!

Tim

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. She hesitates a little (and has been lately) before starting. I also checked the battery terminals, corroded (nice Smurf blue on there). I've found lately too that the trip meter on the ceiling (trip meter, avg MPG, etc) have been resetting to zero almost every time I shut her off.

So I guess I'll try that, it's been about 4 years or so since a new battery anyways, probably time for a new one.

Any other thoughts assuming it's not the battery?

Thanks again for the help!

Tim

I also think it is the battery with what you just said.

Dave

Wahnsinn

Reaction score
So today I go to get the Jeep out of the garage, I start it, it dies immediately.

My first thought, the battery (because of my issues I've been noticing) and how she was acting.

My wife's first thought, "can't be the battery, so I'll call my friend's husband since he's a car guy". He says, "can't be the battery, so I'll call my friend that's a Jeep guy". His friend says "probably a vacuum hose that a rat chewed through while it was in the garage".

I figure at least two of the aforementioned people know what they're talking about, so I'll take a look.

So I spend a good couple hours looking at hoses and electrical wires and fuel lines, crawling on the cement, scraping here and there, fun stuff.

Fast forward to after dinner, I buy a new battery, problem solved.

Thanks guys!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May not of been the battery at all, could of very easily been the corrosion on the terminals.

Corrosion doesnt allow small loads like whats needed to keep the parameters in the PCM or to store things in the Evic, but it will allow high loads to be carried(which will cause the terminal to over heat, melt the wiring, then fail). Clean those terminals GOOD. If they are bad enough, replace them.

Those other people are not use to electronics. When the battery goes dead the kj will sometimes have a hard time idling at first while the computer relearns. If you would of held the gas longer or held the gas long enough to let you get it on the road and drive it then it would of idled. :)

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace them because they got so bad I got stranded at 7-11. Fortunately I was able to rig it with a pocket knife to get to Wal-Mart for a new 56 cent terminal. I also got some anti corrosion pads and paid with less than a 5 spot.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI - the newer Jeeps are different - the battery has to have enough voltage to turn on the computer - enough current to turn the starter isn't enough.
on older cars & Jeeps - if you could get it started, the alternator would have enough to keep it going - not so these days.