Jeep Dies on Interstate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frister

Reaction score
Driving home Saturday, my 02 liberty bogged down then quit running. At approx 71 ish mph..After I coasted to the side of the road, i tried starting.. Sounded like when a hammer hits a chisel, then nothing, no turn over or static sounds you get when battery low. battery checked out good. any thoughts? my thinking is a timing chain. does anyone know if this 3.7 is a non or an interference engine?
Thanks for your responses.:icon_mad:

frister

Reaction score
when you turn the ignition as if to start, all lights on dash act normal, than when turning the key to start, gets the clink sound

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hard to diagnose from that with no CEL codes. The check engine light didn't flash, or come on solid at all? Did it just all the sudden die, and you coasted to a stop..or did it get rough and idle and stall out? white smoke from engine or exhaust? ever overheated it? It's pretty unlikely that the timing chain would break...how many miles on it? They generally loosen up over time and need to be re-tensioned. It's usually not like a belt that just snaps.

frister

Reaction score
I thought I was pretty specific on it until you pinpointed my errors... Ok
Driving at 72 mph, engine bogged down like a 18 wheeler jake brake. I seen lights on the dash like when you go to start it, i put it in neutral while coasting and nothing, but when I did stop and the highway sounds subsided, I was able to hear a clank like a hammer and chisel, does not try to turn over just the clank when turning the key.
I don't have the jeep right now to see if any codes, but don't recall check engine light on at all.. No smoke that I saw, not 100 % on that due to the shock that it quit to begin with. i believe 147000 miles

frister

Reaction score
I had it towed back to the dealer, I had them check the battery, battery checked out good. So when I went the next day to get stuff out of it, still the same sound upon turning the key

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe start with a compression test. Honestly, if it's already at the dealer, I would probably have them diagnose it. I feel your pain though, my KJ died on the highway on me last week. Valve spring failed, basically stopped me in my tracks...that is a relatively common 3.7L problem, but sounds like your symptoms are a little different...compression test would answer that though.

frister

Reaction score
I hopefully will have the diagnosis this week,, Will update upon findings

AND Thanks ALL

frister

Reaction score
So the results were the engine is locked up. don't know why. there were no leaks or warnings before hand either. owell.. Hopefully the one they put in for warranty will be better.

frister

Reaction score
engine being shipped express. arrive monday...(tuesday) maybe by weeks end i might get it back... 3700 for replacement.. SOOOO glad i had a warranty..lol

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes! I'm seeing way too many of this kind of thread lately. Usually when that happens I suffer the same failure (water pump and front driveshaft are good examples.)