Is the spare tire cover pointless?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always thought Jeeps looked better without the spare tire cover over the spare in the back. Is that "protection from the elements" worth having though? Does that cover really help? Opinions?

Thanks,

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use mine, but only because I have a large cable lock to keep the tire from being stolen. I just didn't want to put out the money for tire-lug nut locks. But it does keep the tire out of the elements nicely.
Plus it lets people know a Jeep passed them...

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i keep it off. I got the factory spare wheel locks (back when it was still included)..also bought the tire mount lock....

i keep it off cuz i took it off after one winter to clean off the spare, and i noticed corrosion on the rim itself..so it's been off ever since..
that and i like to show off my new tires...LoL

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you like the look, I don't see the point in getting a spare cover. just take care of the spare every time you wash and care for the other wheels and tires.
Here is a separate but related question. Should you include the spare on the tire rotation (assuming they are the same size, etc)? Would that simply cause the need to buy five tires rather than four down the road?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
I rotate my spare in...
for one..it's a full size spare...with a matching rim..not like a donut or anything....which in turn if you do get a flat, more than likely, you'll just leave the one u just got fixed as a spare...
now lets say you get a flat..ur other tires have let say..over 20 k.
u put in ur spare with zero miles....
quite a difference in tread depth if you ask me...

if i kept my tire cover on...and never rotated in my old spare..I probably wouldve bought 4 and kept one...
but seeing as i keep the cover off, and plan on doing a 5 wheel rotation....might as well match all 5 (looks funny having 4 nice tires and one ****** one...LoL)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also do a five-tire rotation. After the first rotation, I left off the cover for a while. It looks good without it, but then my cover just says "Liberty", which I kind of like. So I have it back on.

I do see another Atlantic Blue Limited driving around my town with their cover on too. The cover also has the Jeep dealers name. In that case I would take it off! Why advertise the dealer?!

The cover is starting to fade, so if it gets looking worse, I'll take it off.

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
wats your question ?

Does it help with what ? If you mean getting dirty...yes
Look how messy the rear window gets with one mud hole.
I keep a cover on because its one less item to clean and less mess if Mr. Murphy wants me to change a tire on the way to a wedding in my suit.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only use a spare tyre cover is to stop UV damage to the tyre. In theory your spare will be there for years and can degrade by sun exposure. That said, I don't use mine. I found that it was holding water and leaves and stuff which made it start to smell horrible.

Ian

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a tire cover just to give the jeep some character. It looks pretty good without it on, too. I have both a cable lock and lug nut locks. I think I'm more worried about some punk stealing the custom tire cover than the wheels, though

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the tire cover on........because it's a Chicago Blackhawks tire cover and there's no better way to show your team spirit on your vehicle =D> I have the wheel locks on both the wheels and the spare