I'm having a very hard time finding factory skid plates!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I am about to give up on the factory skid plate option and just order a two foot by eight foot sheet of 3/8 inch thick sheet of aluminium and fabricate my own skid plates.
Along with some billet aluminium rod stock to fabricate some spacers.

Like the old saying... If you want it done right, do it yourself!

And, NO, I don't want to buy somebody else's product!

I'd rather just crawl under the KJ and design my own stuff!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
skiddy plates

Ryan,
I take it that they are no longer available form Dealership.
Have you tried on Mitchell Island or at Surrey wreckers?
Just a thought....
Tim.

Boiler

Reaction score
Cant you get them from jparts.com? I believe all years should work with a little drilling.

3/8" x 2" x 8" aluminum is going to run you about $300 by itself. But go for it...and aluminum is fine....

From what I've seen available, that isn't a standard size. You should be able to get 3' x 8' if you order it and wait a couple days. You can get the smaller but they'll charge you more for it as they'll be just cutting a sheet in half. Standard is 4 x 8.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Cant you get them from jparts.com? I believe all years should work with a little drilling.

3/8" x 2" x 8" aluminium is going to run you about $300 by itself. But go for it...and aluminium is fine....

From what I've seen available, that isn't a standard size. You should be able to get 3' x 8' if you order it and wait a couple days. You can get the smaller but they'll charge you more for it as they'll be just cutting a sheet in half. Standard is 4 x 8.

I'm sure I could order skid plates from the U.S., but once I add Shipping and handling (And duty if applicable) it will be less expensive to just purchase an aluminium sheet locally.

Oh, 3/8 (I'll more than likely use 1/2 inch alloy plate.) should be plenty strong enough for off road use1

Boiler

Reaction score
Oh, 3/8 (I'll more than likely use 1/2 inch alloy plate.) should be plenty strong enough for off road use1

Um yeah, 3/8 thick aluminum skids would blow away anything currently commercially available.

1/2 = overkill IMO but have at it!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I decided that instead of going away for 3 days with Jen to a car show that I would instead buy some raw goods and go to work on skids for the KJ.
Jen totally agrees with me as she finds that they will be very useful!
We'll take 3-4 days after Christmas and take me daughters along so they can blow their xmas cash down south.

ohaness

Reaction score
Its funny...I think several years ago now, that I found what was probably the last TC skid from Jeep/Mopar in either the US or Canada for my 02 KJ in British Columbia at a dealer in Prince Rupert. The parts guy sent a local travel brochure with it for the Prince Rupert area (near the Alaska border) ...thought that was great!

Anyway I feel your frustration in that they can't be found new unless you get aftermarket or fab something.

Good luck.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I had the same issues getting skids for my '05. About 6 months ago or so I ordered all of them and they told me the engine skid was no longer available. So I got all the others and am still on the hunt...

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I snagged the front suspension skid off e-bay, and the ****** and t-case skids I ordered from the dealership in Ottawa here.????
How much are the skid plates in CDN$? I don't do any super duper off-roading, but I would like peace of mind when I do the odd trailing up at the cottage.

The skids that I am thinking of getting are the front suspension, ****** and t-case skids. Not interested in the gas skid.

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the junkyard and out of 12 Libbys non had skid on them but i found plenty of OTISS !! argghhh killing me more !! I need skids too !!

NCC-1864

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought OEM Mopar fuel tank skid and engine skid at Morris 4X4 Center in Florida
via internet it's about $136.00 CND for fuel tank and $112.00CND for the front one.
My ******/engine skid and t-case skid are SKID ROW around $210.00CND and $121.00CND but alot ticker than the Mopar's one.
bought the SKID ROW through JEEPIN BY AL.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just over at my local Jeep dealership. The only skid plates available from Mopar for the 05-07 Liberty is the front suspension and the transmission ones. The T-case and fuel tank skids are no longer available to order from Mopar.

The front suspension skid is 46$CDN and the transmission skid is 78$CDN.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I was just over at my local Jeep dealership. The only skid plates available from Mopar for the 05-07 Liberty is the front suspension and the transmission ones. The T-case and fuel tank skids are no longer available to order from Mopar.

The front suspension skid is 46$CDN and the transmission skid is 78$CDN.

The only skid plate available here is the fuel tank skid for $133.00.
I may as well add that $133.00 towards a sheet of aluminium and make my own skid plates.
I have the tools, the time, and the shop to make them.