Hurricane Irene

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drucifer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How everybody do?

Lost power in the early AM as I slept. Power was restored at 4:55 PM.

Wind was not bad. Had much worst wind events.

Flooding is another story. The storm surge pushed the Hudson to overflow its banks here. My next door neighbor got water in his garage and that never happen before. Neighbors lower on my road are pumping out their basements. I could see debris from the Hudson all over the place. And I'm talking some mighty big logs.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drew, your house is close to the river so I would say you are lucky that you got no water. That park across from the train tracks must have flooded good though?

Dave

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Work was hell today with "a tree fell on the power lines" calls. Other than that, nothing really catastrophic happened that I can see. One guy had a good sized tree fall on his brand new Ram 2500 but the rest of the neighborhood appears OK. The tornado was definitely much worse for us around here.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really didn't have anything that serious around here. Just a few streets closed, highways no-go, and no public transportation since yesterday noon. That's about it. But really, it wasn't anywhere near what they thought it was gonna be. Or they just needed a reason push people buy whatever they can off the shelves.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 tree ripped out of the ground.
1 tree split in half.
basement got 2" of water from a HOLE that opened up in the wall behind the sewer standpipe. mind you I NEVER have water problems in the basement so it has NO mitigation measures in place.
as of right now half the basement carpet is outside on the deck draped over the railing to dry. the other half only got a small touch of water so it's got fans and the dehumidifer going.
also lost power for 7 hours and I apparently didn't drop my router properly, causing it to clobber the HDD. luckily I had a backup I'd JUST built.

insanely enough the car tent did NOT blow away nor did the tarp covering the car trailer.
think the shed shifted though, as the door is out of square just a hair now

tomorrow I'm going to put the winch on the jeep and try to stand that tree back up. and hopefully in the afternoon we'll be putting the padding back down and re-laying the carpet.

I got lucky though... my grandma is in Pompton Plains. her house probably has sewage-laced water in the house by now.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

and to spool the line back on the drum correctly after I was done...

:D

12,000# winch vs. little tree == no problems son.

Drucifer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drew, your house is close to the river so I would say you are lucky that you got no water. That park across from the train tracks must have flooded good though?

Dave
Luck had nothing to do with it. It's called elevation. My lowest level - garage and basement are on the same height as my neighbor second floor. He's not in the flood plain, but he got water. But that water was about 15 feet below me.

My hazard is the village trees. They are not maintain and lean over my property.

The park was under several feet of water. Hard to tell exactly how high.

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wasnt that bad by me just a couple trees went down and at my job there was no power. the places that got hit the hardest in new jersey were the towns around the passaic and hackensack rivers. my boss that lives in paterson called me up yesterday said his street is still under 4 feet of water

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For having mandatory evacuations ordered two days before the hurricane, I can say that not much damage was done here in Cape May. I rode out the small storm in the firehouse since we had a storm standby for rescues. Only went out a few times for wires and tree down calls.

Drucifer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of my relatives in Vermont live in one of those towns that been cut off - Wilmington. Spoke to a cousin, none of their home have suffered any damage,