How to tell if there's a lift on a Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased my '02 Liberty LTD used--and though I take it on some light offroad trails occasionally I'm really not familiar with lift kits and offroad equipment in general. I do now need new tires for my Jeep--so I'm trying to know what I have so I can replace them with the best option available.

My '02 is (pre-lowered) LT and currently has 255/75/16 Scorpions on it. Some of the inner wells have been cut away to make room and it really doesn't rub--but I'm unsure if there's a small lift installed. Is there an easy way to tell? Can someone explain where I'd need to look?

Sorry if this is "entry-level". Am trying to decide if 245/75/16 General AT2s are going to rub if I switch sizes (or even if staying with 255/70/16s in AT2s will rub) and knowing whether or not I have a lift could help.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its running 255/75/16s, then there is a lift. that tire would not fit on a stock height liberty.

also, i've recently been told that the tread width on the at2 is quite wide. so, the tread on a 245 might be at least as wide as a 255. that number is not actually the tread width, its the section width. and i think some of the manufacturers measure it at different spots, so its not always apples to apples.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! you have 255/75's stuffed under a pre-lifted KJ?! That's 31+ inches of tire. If you go 245/75 you will not have a problem since they measure out to 30.6 (+-.2) of tire. Even with the more aggressive tread you should not have an issue.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Simple. Pull next to one at a stoplight or parking lot or go to the dealer. If you're (drastically)) taller, there goes the answer to your question. :)