HOW TO: modify your A/C heater control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
You know... My Jeep just automatically added this feature like 2 months ago. hehe.. #1 on my fan control doesn't work, because the resistor blew.

I was going to fix it, but it seems like a feature. :-k

Bennett

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Climate control modification

Is there a way to modify the climate controls, so that it stays on inside air or recirulated air where ever you move the mode dial? Or at least the possibility of adding a switch so that I can have control over it?

GilaMonster

Reaction score
Re: Climate control modification

mattjeep said:
Is there a way to modify the climate controls, so that it stays on inside air or recirulated air where ever you move the mode dial? Or at least the possibility of adding a switch so that I can have control over it?

Man, out in the desert, that is a feature I would love. Sometimes you just want to blast floor or top only in vent or in recirculation when cooling the car down.

Gige

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding re-circ, the control of the various flaps is pneumatic (including outside air), therefore switches won't do, if not pneumatic themselves.
Maybe it would be possible to disconnect and block the actuators in preffered state, but I never got so deep under the dashboard and don't really know what it looks like (yet!) :D Hmmm, apart from the evic wiring, but at that time I wasn't looking for the pneumatic actuators....

Gige

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More info:

ACTUATOR-RECIRCULATION DOOR
DESCRIPTION
The heating-A/C system uses a vacuum operated
recirculation door actuator (1) to control the movement
of the recirculation-air door within the HVAC air inlet
housing.
When vacuum is supplied by the A/C-heater control to
the vacuum connector (3) of the recirculation door
actuator, the actuator linkage is pulled into the actuator,
which moves the recirculation door lever and recirculation-
air door to the Recirculation position. The
recirculation door actuator is spring loaded, so when
vacuum is released from the actuator, the linkage
moves the recirculation-air door back to its static position
(fresh air).
The recirculation door actuator is retained to the
HVAC air inlet housing by an integral mounting provision
(2) and can be accessed for service by removing
the instrument panel.
The recirculation door actuator cannot be adjusted or
repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be
replaced.

You must be registered for see images

REMOVAL
WARNING: On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering
wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the
battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before
performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to
take the proper precautions could result in an accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or
death.
1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle
(Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT
PANEL ASSEMBLY - REMOVAL).
3. Disconnect the vacuum line harness connector
from the recirculation door actuator (1).
4. Release the latch that secures the recirculation
door actuator mount (2) to the top of the HVAC
housing (3) and disengage the actuator from the
housing.
5. Disconnect the recirculation door actuator from the
recirculation door lever (4) and remove the actuator
from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION
1. Connect the recirculation door actuator (1) to the
recirculation door lever (4).
2. Align the recirculation door actuator mount (2) to
the stanchion on the HVAC housing (3), and press
the actuator onto the stanchion firmly to fully
engage the latch.
3. Connect the vacuum harness connector to the
recirculation door actuator.
4. Install the instrument panel (Refer to 23 - BODY/
INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT PANEL
ASSEMBLY - INSTALLATION).
5. Reconnect the battery negative cable.

Last edited:

Gige

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And now - something completely different (Monty Python)

Yes, my resistance finally ceased, my wife was trying long time and finally I modified the a/c control panel on her Cherokee (Liberty).
Took me one afternoon to complete the mod.

What to expect of this mod? Here it is:

1. Fan off in any position of the selectors
2. When the fan is off, A/C is automatically off
3. A/C only starts on A/C button
4. Additional running fan led indicator

Photos and diagrams should be self explanatory, if anybody needs more just ask, I was never good in explaining things to others, I just did this out of the head and then realized that somebody could benefit and tried to document everything...

Note: I never measured current over the fan motor ground line, but as the fan fuse is rated 40 amps, I have fitted additional relay and thicker wires, just in case. S1 switch is situated out of sight - in the bottom compartment....

Pride of American engineering, hahahaha:

How to:

Results:

Fan on (led on), original selector and additional switch are on:

Fan off (led off), original selector off, additional switch on:

Fan off (led off), original selector on, additional switch off (not visible):

Best regards to all Jeep lovers ;) ,

Gige

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I would add my pics... Took the A/C out on floor and floor+defrost, it only comes on with the pure defrost. Also took out Speed #4. Works pretty sweet. I used regular electrical tape and smeared di-electric grease all over everything. Before I put the tape on I used Q-tips and alcohol to clean the copper off good so the tape would stick good. Now I want to go out and go on a trip so I can play with the new controls!

You must be registered for see images attach

I noticed the new one didnt have any Chrysler Symbol on it while the old one did. Seems they out sourced the controls on the 05+. I also noticed they are cheaper once I opened it up. The contacts are much smaller and just over all seemed cheaper to me. Leave it up to Chrysler to find cost cuts. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why they wouldnt. I put 05 controls in my 2004 and they work great.

I tried, but I had one-and-a-half problems. The major problem was that, even on the bluest setting, the thermostat wouldn't shut the heat off completely. The other is I could never get my A/C to work, but I've since discovered I have a leak that needs fixing somewhere.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you find out that it wouldnt shut the heat off completely? Even if a little heat is coming through, that doesnt mean it hasnt shut the heat off. If you have it on inside air on the coldest region and heat is coming out then there may be a problem.

It ***** heat off the engine if its ok outside air.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll just say that the heat coming at me was definitely greater with the '05 controls installed than with the '02 controls put back in. It might not be scientific, but it was definitely hotter than usual, even for outside air. :)

jeep

Reaction score
I'll just say that the heat coming at me was definitely greater with the '05 controls installed than with the '02 controls put back in. It might not be scientific, but it was definitely hotter than usual, even for outside air. :)

I have the same problem when installing an 06 in an 02. I believe after doing some troubleshooting that it is a problem somewhere in the vacumn switch. In the 02 manual there is a schematic for the heater control vacumn ports but I don't have the manual for an 06 to compare them. If anyone who is also trying to solve this wants to share troubleshooting notes that would be great but i've done to much to write. The schematic(vacumn logic chart) from an 06 would be great.

Any help would be apprectiated, hopefully someone can shed some light.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will admit that i didn't read all the posts here, but wanted to mention this: most cars, when the selector is on some setting that involves the windshield, it turns on the a/c to keep the glass from fogging up, especially helpful in the winter. this works because the a/c actually drys the air. then your heater warms the dry air up, and now you can defrost your windshield without fogging it up. This has been standard operating procedure for at least 30 or 40 years. I can only imagine that they decided to have the floor turn on the a/c because if you want your feet warm, it is probably cold enough and moist enough to cause windows to fog up. but that is purely speculation.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will admit that i didn't read all the posts here, but wanted to mention this: most cars, when the selector is on some setting that involves the windshield, it turns on the a/c to keep the glass from fogging up, especially helpful in the winter. this works because the a/c actually drys the air. then your heater warms the dry air up, and now you can defrost your windshield without fogging it up. This has been standard operating procedure for at least 30 or 40 years. I can only imagine that they decided to have the floor turn on the a/c because if you want your feet warm, it is probably cold enough and moist enough to cause windows to fog up. but that is purely speculation.

You would be correct.. The purpose of this thread is to keep the A/C from coming on in those selections.. Ill control when the A/C needs to come on if and when my windows begin to fog up.

jfs

Reaction score
Hello Gige. Thank you for posting how to modify a/c heater unit to recirculate with a separate switch. The pictures are not showing up on the posting. Any chance you could reload pics? Thanks again! jfs

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An important side benefit from the Manual A/C mode would be an INCREASE in MPGs when the A/C is OFF.

Did anyone notice this ?

CLIFFSALGADO

Reaction score
hey

such a great tip you have posted it helps me a lot to modify my A/C heater control and one thing i like that you describe it very briefly so anyone can understand the procedure very easily. Keep on sharing these kinds of posts

efseiler

Reaction score
Cool tip!

As far as your "word of caution": On my 2005, the owners manual states that the AC is on when the selector is in "Floor" mode, and that the AC is on when in "mix defrost" or "defrost" modes and the outside temp is below 30 degrees.

We are working on a solution to the "force you to have AC on while in floor mode" problem...

True, the owner's manual was only specific about that for the floor mode. However, when I checked for the other modes the compressor did indeed kick in (and the outdoor temp was well above freezing).

--Damien