HOW TO: CB in a Libby!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My CB installation

Two fit the CB, had to cut hole in dash pocket, there is just a 1/2 " of room in back of the CB. That pocket was useless anyway.
You must be registered for see images

The antenna mount.

what all did you have to cut out to get that to fit in there?

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powering in

Ok guys...I'm at a loss here. Mounted the radio & antenna no sweat ..The cig lighter is shot but the power outlet in the cargo area works fine. Obviously I don't want to run a 9' hot wire soooooooooooooo

Where is the best place to power in? I have an "add a fuse" BUT the question is, which fuse is which? Nothing labled & the manuel isn't worth a crap ..thought about running through the firewall but...can't find a hole to run the line through ARRGGGGHH!!

HELP!!

Thanks

Ed

Bubba Fett

Reaction score
My CB installation

Two fit the CB, had to cut hole in dash pocket, there is just a 1/2 " of room in back of the CB. That pocket was useless anyway.

The antenna mount.

Do you have any more pictures of this install?

I took off the radio / AC bezel and behind the cubby hole there are three overlapping plastic plates. I assume you just drilled through these.

Bubba Fett

Reaction score
Originally posted here:

http://itsajeep.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=13648&page=0&vc=#Post13648

Wait, people mod KJs? Since when? Well, yea, at least I did... somewhat. I finally finished my CB radio install today. It's been going on for months, and everybody around here should know me, I'm a VERY IMPATIENT PERSON when it comes to these Jeep things. Well, I stole my dad's drill charger, so no more excuses, even in snowy weather!

What you will need:

1. CB Radio. I chose the Radio Shack TRC-503 CB for its size and price. ($29.99!!!!!)
2. CB antenna cable. Cheap @ RS. I got a 20ft cable for a price, which now, I cannot remember. Whatever it was, it wasn't expensive.
3. CB Antenna Mount. I said that I was impatient, so I picked up RS's Luggage rack mount. It's supposed to mount on the tubes of a luggage rack, but, um, I didn't, because the bars on the KJ are too big.
4. CB Antenna. I chose the Firestik II, 4'. $22.99 @ Jeepersandcreepers.
5. A drill of some sort. I have a Black and Decker 14.4V cordless drill. Worked perfectly for this project.
6. Drill bits. Craftsman is the only brand I trust.
7. A Jeep of some sort. lol3.gif

I started by taking off the spare tire off of the carrier with a 4 way lug wrench I picked up last year. Everyone should have one. I then proceeded to drill 2 pilot holes for the mount. Always drill pilot holes before the final holes. Makes it easier, and you're less likely to mess something up.

After that, I drilled out the pilot holes for the final holes. I used a 1/4 inch drill bit. The mount is on the other side of the tire mount.

Bolts are tightened!

Now, for mounting your receiver, you can just let it dangle whereever you want...or you can permanently mount it somewhere. I chose the blank location right of the steering wheel, left of the radio, and under the instrument cluster. Works good for me, because I don't have to reach over to adjust anything, and it's not in the way. Since I did NOT want to drill a single hole at the time (now, I wouldn't care), I used Industrial Strength Velcro to mount the receiver. Holds up fine...even survives Michigan Potholes at 40MPH. lol6.gif

I ran the wires under the steering wheel.

And into the interior side panels.... the wires are not seen until right here, in the cargo area.

I got power from an add-a-fuse. $9.99 at your local auto parts store.

Fully operational!

Special thanks to:

mikea - Thanks for the drill advice.
JoplinJeeper (Alan) - Thanks for the advice on the industrial strength velcro.
gblue (Gill) - For hosting the pics in this writeup! http://www.itsajeep.org is a great place!!!
Bennett - For being my role model for future mods. \:D/

All pics are here.

http://www.itsajeep.org/PhotoPost/showgallery.php/cat/15266

EDIT: Picture links are fixed.

Do you have a link to the pictures. The extra link you provided no longer works. Would like to see how this looks.