How to bleed diesel fuel system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndreKK

Reaction score
After replacing the two diesel filters, how do you bleed the system. My other vehicle has the conventional pump above the filter but my 2.8 CRD does not have that.

CRD-Joe

Reaction score
Should be a pump on the fuel filter mount that you replaced your filter. I used to use my brake bleeder on the bleeder instead of pumping it. I ended up installing a lift pump an you never need to worry about that again, just cycle the key. My advice is get a lift pump installed. Auto primes, and less wear on the high pressure pump. I also noticed smoother, quieter running as well a little bump in mpg. Air in the system will devastate components in that motor.

CRD-Joe

Reaction score
After replacing the two diesel filters, how do you bleed the system. My other vehicle has the conventional pump above the filter but my 2.8 CRD does not have that.
Also do you have a pic of your fuel filter head, where the filter mounts? I may have one laying around from my last part out if yours is incorrect.

AndreKK

Reaction score
Also do you have a pic of your fuel filter head, where the filter mounts? I may have one laying around from my last part out if yours is incorre

Should be a pump on the fuel filter mount that you replaced your filter. I used to use my brake bleeder on the bleeder instead of pumping it. I ended up installing a lift pump an you never need to worry about that again, just cycle the key. My advice is get a lift pump installed. Auto primes, and less wear on the high pressure pump. I also noticed smoother, quieter running as well a little bump in mpg. Air in the system will devastate components in that motor.
Thanks Joe. Mine has two filter elements. Attached a pic of the elements and a photo from underneath still installed. Just in front of fuel tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20231011_171322_381.jpg
    IMG_20231011_171322_381.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2023-10-17 062644.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-17 062644.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 9

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting set-up, I take it this is a KK diesel? I wonder if the later ones have a lift pump in the tank? That would make it self bleeding potentially. I've never worked on one so you will have to investigate, but without any sign of a hand pump I can't see any other way.

CRD-Joe

Reaction score
I'd have to agree I haven't seen that setup either. So you don't have a spin on oil filter looking setup on the firewall? I would suggest turning the key 2 clicks to on position without starting it to listen for a hum in the tank. As if you don't have a way to prime/bleed the system it must have a way to self bleed. Plus if you hear that hum you'll know u have a lift pump, just cycle it 3 times an you'll be good.
What year is yours?

AndreKK

Reaction score
I'd have to agree I haven't seen that setup either. So you don't have a spin on oil filter looking setup on the firewall? I would suggest turning the key 2 clicks to on position without starting it to listen for a hum in the tank. As if you don't have a way to prime/bleed the system it must have a way to self bleed. Plus if you hear that hum you'll know u have a lift pump, just cycle it 3 times an you'll be good.
What year is yours?
Thanks guy's, much appreciated. Safe Jeeping.