Hi from Tasmania, I'm on my 6th Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dljacko

Reaction score
My first Jeep was a 1974 CJ5 Renegade 232ci purchased new, it is still getting around Australia, although the new owner has installed disc brakes on the front since he bought it from me. Whilst I owned this basic little 4x4 I only ever had to replace was the rear universal joints and the thrust bearing, because it rusted out and screamed every time you put your foot on the clutch (did that at the same time). The most reliable vehicle with the ever faithful Rambler six! Since then I have had J20 Crew cab, CJ7, WJ 4.0L, WG 2.7CRD and now a KJ MY2005 Sports.
The thing that I detest most about the Jeep is the electronics and how much they seem to cost to put right every time they stuff-up. If I could rip every bit of electronics and so-called safety devices off this vehicle and still have it run ok I would. I would then feel safe to do an off road trip through the centre of Australia. I purchased a Toyota Hilux 2.8 diesel in 1991 for work and to date it has done 460,000kms and had only one set of glow plugs, you hop in and turn the key and ......zoom, every time in all temperatures, I'm never going to get rid of that.
This KJ that I have now has had another motor in it since the other one had a problem with the left side head and a fault in the camshaft which snapped. Here in AUS the complete motor overhaul gasket set costs about $1700 so it was simpler to source a low mileage one from a wrecker. These models also have heating problems here, especially when towing a trailer, so that a worry when going on a mainland trip in temperatures averaging mid 40's centigrade. I have to admit that they are reasonably comfortable and have good ground clearance, my wife likes it because it is easy to park (just reverse in and when you feel the spare wheel touch you have gone back far enough???????). The reason I registered on these Jeep forums is so I can get experienced advice from owners who have had the same problems as me, so I don't have to have it at the dealers all the time.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're in a position to get plenty of opportunities to use your Jeep for what it was made for. Welcome! :happy160:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Dave