Hello from B.C. Canada

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Hello all,
It looks like I found the right place to start fixing up the new to me 2003 3.7L Liberty Renagade. Daughter wanted and SUV that didn't leak and would be a little more reliable than this jeep. Her A/C clutch went up in smoke while she was crossing a bridge and was panicking and calling me what to do. Headed out to rescue her and she said that was the final straw that broke the camels back. You can have the Jeep Dad.
Well, this is my first 4X4 and I'm looking forward on getting all the bugs out of it and changing all the fluids. Wow, 5 fluids to change rather than 2 on my other cars.
Any requests on what to look first for for a newbie like me.

Cheers All

Big Al

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome fellow BC'er.
Here is the 03 factory service manual that should help you along: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2003JeepKJServiceManual.pdf
Also you can refer to the owners manual for gear lube & fluid specifications. Jeep is particular when it comes to Hoat Coolant, Transfer case & rear diff /requirements etc.
As your's is an 03 it could also have a Trac-Loc rear diff that would require the 4 oz bottle of Mopar friction modifier. Service the rear diff every 35K.
Get your build sheet here to see if you have a Trac-Loc: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/build-sheet.64657/
The A/C need to be addressed and it's always best to have a licensed AC shop inspect and repair.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Hello Big Al.

Anything that can happen to your jeep has already happened to someone here.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Welcome fellow BC'er.
Here is the 03 factory service manual that should help you along: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2003JeepKJServiceManual.pdf
Also you can refer to the owners manual for gear lube & fluid specifications. Jeep is particular when it comes to Hoat Coolant, Transfer case & rear diff /requirements etc.
As your's is an 03 it could also have a Trac-Loc rear diff that would require the 4 oz bottle of Mopar friction modifier. Service the rear diff every 35K.
Get your build sheet here to see if you have a Trac-Loc: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/build-sheet.64657/
The A/C need to be addressed and it's always best to have a licensed AC shop inspect and repair.
Thanks for the start on this new venture to me.
I went to Lordco Parts and picked up the oil for the trac loc rear end and the transfer case. The Luscas oil said I didn't need the friction modifier as it already had it in their concoction. The lady that bought it from Richmond Chrysler left the build sheet in the glove box. This unit has everything but the phone option on the rear view mirror. As for the coolant it's blowing warm air for about a minute and then it changes to cold when I have it on defrost, thinking the heater core is plugged and not sure what coolent it has in it. Guess the best thing to do is drain it, blow out the heater core and maybe run some CLR through it and reverse flush it. The A/C is fine now as I bought the clutch and solenoid and installed it. The A/C could almost freeze a beer that it is so cold.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Hello Big Al.

Anything that can happen to your jeep has already happened to someone here.
Thanks for the warning, I'll search before I post. Sounds like my next task is to get hot air blowing out of the defroster. Blows hot air for a minute and then changes to cold air. Thinking a plugged heater core

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you have the A/C working cold again.
Unless is stipulates with limited slip on the bottle, better add the 4 oz bottle of Mopar Friction modifier for a Trac-Loc.
Stay away from synthetics, regular Dino gear oil sticks better & protects the gears perfectly.
Yes flush the heater core & then use Mopar hoat coolant or Zerex G-05 only & consider a new mopar thermostat & inspect hoses, replace if bulging / cracks or older.

Latest posts

Members online