Heavy duty cooling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillon

Reaction score
I want to put the heavy duty cooling on my '02. Best I can tell from the libertys I have had that it includes a thinner electric fan, mechanical fan, and different shroud.

My question is the electric fan, the heavy duty cooling version has different wiring. Has anyone made this change, and what was done with the wiring?

Thanks!

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed it in my 2006.

Originally had standard cooling, and was getting warm AC at every stoplight in the summer (which tells me the rest of the engine is going to have high heat load since the AC condenser is in the FRONT of the other radiators).

I replaced the standard electric fan, and the standard fan shroud with their HD equivalents.

I added the mechanical fan clutch and mechanical fan blades.

I didn't have to change anything permanent, and could swap the standard units back in just as easy. I dont know the 2002 as well as my 2006, but it was a piece of cake.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I still have a mechanical fan I was gonna put in the 04, might have the correct electric fan as well (I'll have to look and see, if you're interested).

dillon

Reaction score
yeah i probably would be. but every liberty i've looked at with heavy duty cooling the electric fan had different wiring. I think mine is a three wire connection and heavy duty has two wires.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the early model KJs (2002-2003?) have two wires whereas after that they have 3 wires.
Fans are controlled differently.

two wires fan are PWM controlled for speed.
Three wires fan have high or low speed.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i probably would be. but every liberty i've looked at with heavy duty cooling the electric fan had different wiring. I think mine is a three wire connection and heavy duty has two wires.

Ok, I'll go take a look out in the parts house lol

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at rockauto I dont see any 3 pin fan motors (checked assembly or just the motor) listed for the 2002 (the same for 2003).

I also checked 2004 and they show plenty of 2 pin and 3 pin options, but it seems to be very hard to find a 3 pin for HD cooling. The only one I found was a GDP brand part but listed under fan assembly for 2004 liberty.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe dumb question but is the hd cooling package tied to the tow package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at rockauto I dont see any 3 pin fan motors (checked assembly or just the motor) listed for the 2002 (the same for 2003).

I also checked 2004 and they show plenty of 2 pin and 3 pin options, but it seems to be very hard to find a 3 pin for HD cooling. The only one I found was a GDP brand part but listed under fan assembly for 2004 liberty.

AutoZone has one for lifetime warranty.
Dorman 620010

Last edited:

dillon

Reaction score
I think the early model KJs (2002-2003?) have two wires whereas after that they have 3 wires.
Fans are controlled differently.

two wires fan are PWM controlled for speed.
Three wires fan have high or low speed.

this was my fear. if the wiring is different then the fans are controlled by pcm differently. otherwise i would just hack the wiring

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think getting the HD fan shroud would be the hardest thing.

Just buy the appropriate fan with 2 pins. Nothing to fear. :D

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
All KJs have a transmission cooler already.

The early 02-03 V6 KJs with the 45RFE ****** have the in-radiator ****** cooler other years have an aux. Cooler.

Tow package is just the hitch and wiring.
If you went in a recall a few years ago, you would have had a free hitch installed.

I believe the non-HD cooling e-rad fan is different than the HD e-rad fan.

You just need to get a clutch fan, clutch fan blades, fan shroud, and e-rad fan.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
All KJs have a transmission cooler already.

The early 02-03 V6 KJs with the 45RFE ****** have the in-radiator ****** cooler other years have an aux. Cooler.

Tow package is just the hitch and wiring.
If you went in a recall a few years ago, you would have had a free hitch installed.

I believe the non-HD cooling e-rad fan is different than the HD e-rad fan.

You just need to get a clutch fan, clutch fan blades, fan shroud, and e-rad fan.

Just checked my build sheet for my 02: I’ve got the hd cooling package and the tow package. For sure I have a small external trans cooler, large fan shroud, and fan clutch. I haven’t seen an electric fan but I’d bet it’s tucked away somewhere.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inside the shroud, follow the wiring

Ya I found it - directly in front of the mechanical fan. First time I’ve seen that setup before but I’m used to working in euros and fords so not surprising that I didn’t expect it.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, what is a build sheet and how do I get one for my 02 KJ LTD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro