Heater Control: Why

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeke1312

Reaction score
when selecting the air flow to the floor, the A/C compressor runs? Selecting any other air flow direction does not turn on the compressor (if that's what is running). I've seen this subject posted on other Jeep web sites but there was no answer to the question.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its to keep ur ac system running fine when ur not using it such as in colder weather when u would be using the heat a lot.

zeke1312

Reaction score
What if I never used that setting but always used another setting (where the compressor never turns on)?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maximum Carnage said:
I simply disconnect the compressor over the winter months.

True. Sometimes its a good idea to turn it on a few times during the winter months to keep oil on the seals throughout the system. Also, sometimes you may need a quick defogging and the A/C will not be there to do that.

I believe any control-panel Pre-2005 will not turn on the A/C on the floor setting. I know that my 2004 does NOT do that. I would of taken the controls apart by now and fixed that if it did do it. O:) I dont even like the fact that the A/C kicks on when I have it on Floor/Defrost mode. I would like it if the A/C only kicked on when I had it on pure defrost. :-s

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the reason cars do this (most later model cars anyway) was to aid in defrosting by using the a/c compressor to remove more moisture from the air...

2003KJ

Reaction score
thecause17 said:
I was under the impression that the reason cars do this (most later model cars anyway) was to aid in defrosting by using the a/c compressor to remove more moisture from the air...

This is correct. However it appears that on the 05+ models, the a/c compressor kicks on even in settings other than the a/c, and defrost positions, which to me is stupid.

They should have one button that you push to control ONLY the a/c compressor. One that you would need to push even if you wanted it to help defrost the windshield. I know there is a button for the a/c on the 05+ models, but the compressor still kicks on the minute you put the defroster on. The set up i'd like to see would eliminate it automatically coming on in that mode.