HD Fan Clutches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to give a little update, recently towed some heavy loads and the fan clutch works perfect.

The temps were in the 60's, but the engine never got over 205F, even in 2nd gear at near WOT for near 5 minutes. I was surprised the transmission hardly went over 200F, normally it will quickly get to 230F so I guess the lower temps helped. When the temps would get close to 205F, I could hear the fan engaging and the temp would quickly go back down to 198F. So the Hayden 2736 is a perfect setup IMHO.

dac122

Reaction score
Jumping on this thread to get folks knowledge about the fan and shroud...

I owned a 2004 Liberty and loved it. I bought it new with a factory installed tow package, and used it for daily driving and towing a 3500 pound boat.

I am looking at low mileage used Liberty's but Jeep/Chrysler/FNC VIN lookup tools do not work on older vehicles and FNC customer care cannot help. I know the factory tow package came with at least these visible features: class III hitch, 7-pin wiring hookup and clutch driven mechanical cooling fan with special shroud.

Obviously I can verify the hitch and wiring hookup, but it is possible someone could install that without it being factory installed. The extra cooling provided by the the clutch driven mechanical cooling fan is crucial, but I don't know what to look for. I never compared mine to one without on my old Liberty.

Can anyone help me identify the clutch driven mechanical cooling fan, shroud, or any other feature that would guarantee I am looking at a factory installed tow package?

dac122

Reaction score
Jumping on this thread to get advice...

I owned a 2004 Liberty and loved it. I bought it new with a factory installed tow package, and used it for daily driving and towing a 3500 pound boat.

I am looking at low mileage used Liberty's but Jeep/Chrysler/FNC VIN lookup tools do not work on older vehicles and FNC customer care cannot help. I know the factory tow package came with at least these visible features: class III hitch, 7-pin wiring hookup and clutch driven mechanical cooling fan with special shroud.

Obviously I can verify the hitch and wiring hookup, but it is possible someone could install that without it being factory installed. The extra cooling provided by the the clutch driven mechanical cooling fan is crucial, but I don't know what to look for. I never compared mine to one without on my old Liberty.

Can anyone help me identify the clutch driven mechanical cooling fan, shroud, or any other feature that would guarantee I am looking at a factory installed tow package?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not possible. My Jeep did not come with the factory tow package and Ive added it all. Factory hitch, factory wiring, HD cooling.

dac122

Reaction score
Not possible. My Jeep did not come with the factory tow package and Ive added it all. Factory hitch, factory wiring, HD cooling.

Between all the discussions about what is needed and how to do the retrofit, I am now strongly considering retrofitting a Liberty.

Thanks all!

Latest posts

Members online