Good to know.. parking brake doesn't do much.. until

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didn't see this posted anywhere... so ...

In case you haven't noticed, the parking brake on most KJ's doesn't do much until you get to the last click... I recommend you park on slight hill and put your KJ in neutral and just use the parking brake to see how far you have to pull it to hold your KJ still.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't that the idea though? It's all mechanical based on you pulling the lever. So getting to the point where you can't pull anymore (last click) should indicate that you have it in the correct position?

I've used the parking brake and pulled until the last click was heard.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I've always been wary of pulling too far and un-necessarily stretching the cable. Most other cars I've driven don't require full extension.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problems with the parking brake are a common complaint. Mine got to a point where it would pull all the way back and I could still drive away.

Two trips to the dealer; the second time they replaced the lever assembly.
It now engages with just a few clicks of the lever. Fixed while still under warranty.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The old grand we had, parking brake was a joke on that thing, I used to drive miles with brake on, because it didn't do anything at all.

my KJ is different, pull half way you can feel the tension and pressure, it stops. Pull all the way, try to move that sucker if you can, glued on!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Mine's picky about when it wants to work well. Sometimes it works really really good and others it works really really crappy. I've noticed it holds in reverse alot better than it does in drive.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you remeber back to your drivers ed class, you're also supposed to crank over the wheel when parked on a hill so the vehicle rolls into the curb to help the parking brake control a parked vehicle and prevent a runaway.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
Well if you remeber back to your drivers ed class, you're also supposed to crank over the wheel when parked on a hill so the vehicle rolls into the curb to help the parking brake control a parked vehicle and prevent a runaway.

I don't have a curb on my driveway... do I need one just for the Libby ;-)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
feetwet said:
Trodo said:

I just put my jeep in park to prevent that. 8-[

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
feetwet said:
Trodo said:

I just put my jeep in park to prevent that. 8-[

Thats incase the e-brake and the ****** both happen to fail....pretty unlikely.

And drivers ed teaches you nothing about being in the real world, IMO.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic of drivers training....

If you haven't driven in motor city, you don't know how to drive yet. [-(

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but driving in California is a take no prisoners affair, and the Liberty is King. Well at least around here. I see a lot of them.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving in a small town and mostly on HW's, I must say a BIG city is hard for me to drive in. :-s I actually have yet to drive in a big city.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Marlon_JBT said:
jfortier777 said:

lol3.gif

U guys havn't driven through Chicago huh...Let alone the West Coast.
I have! That's why I used the lol3.gif face. Detroit is nothing compared to Chi-Town.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to put the e-brake on (and ****** in park) when I'm loading driving my boat onto the trailer... ;-)

Does that pass your friggin drivers ed rules? :)

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Mine's picky about when it wants to work well. Sometimes it works really really good and others it works really really crappy. I've noticed it holds in reverse alot better than it does in drive.
Mine dose the same thing. It holds tight about 50% of the time (although near the very top of the lever) and then the other times it doesn't do a thing. I'm going to bring this up when I take it in for the LBJs.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
MoladoGuy said:
Marlon_JBT said:
jfortier777 said:

lol3.gif

U guys havn't driven through Chicago huh...Let alone the West Coast.
I have! That's why I used the lol3.gif face. Detroit is nothing compared to Chi-Town.

You really want to learn how to drive......come to Seoul S.Korea. These people are insane behind the wheel!!!!

As for the parking break topic.
I find, it pulls tighter when I have my foot off the brake peddle. Or, vice versa, I cant remember right now. But, I think it does make a difference if you're mashing the brake when you pull up the e-brake.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st gear on manuals uphill works, reverse on downhill. Even if the handbrake fails, the Jeep should stay still... I love manuals....