Gas overflowing during fill up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of KJs will overflow if you fill them up. If you let the pump run until it cuts off on its own then my KJ will spit gas out the side. Has anyone come up with a fix for this?

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always fill up until i know it will only take another 1-2 gallons then slow the pump down big time. This will usualyl let me fill it u all the way up without a bunch of gas spilling onto the ground.

I suspect the "fix" is going to involve dropping the gas tank out of the car.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've come to do now as well. From what I've read on here, it isn't a cheap fix. Something to do with the evaporative system maybe? I do not fully recall...

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they corrected this flaw with the second gen liberty?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine does this as well. I hate it becasue I've only had it a few months so I will sometimes forget to stop it right before I think it's filled. Than I get to spend the rest of the day smelling like gasoline. (or at least until it dries).

But yeah I've read through different forums on fixes like "pump with the vehicle running to avoid it" "make sure it's shut off and let it sit for 2 minutes before you open the cap" etc and nothing has worked.

Last edited:

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never had this issue, but i imagine if you just slow down when its close it shouldnt be a problem

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this happen to mine a few times but since moving to a different town its never happened again. Idk if it has anything to do with it or not.

That said, my gf's jk use to overflow every single time she tried to fill it up. Ended up getting the fill tube between the fillup and the gas tank replaced under warranty. Works great now. Idk if it has something to do with the check valve or what.

JeepMan82

Reaction score
I have this same issue on my 07 KJ. I stop the pump about 2 to 3 gallons short of the pump kicking off, I then just pump the gas slow and it's never an issue.