Front diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liron sasson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,i need to remove the front lower control arm if i want to remove the front diff mount? I mean the mount on the diff cover.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's designed that way, if doing that way it may need an alignment after.

If you're just draining there are drain/fill plugs.

I took the other way of loosen the nut, sacrifice the bolt and cut it. When you buy a new one, install the other way around.

liron sasson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I took the other way of loosen the nut, sacrifice the bolt and cut it. When you buy a new one, install the other way around.

thanks,its a great idea to cut the bolt!
just need to find the correct one to buy.
i saw leak under the cover.

liron sasson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
our front axle is super dana 30?
just want to fint gasket,it will be easier than RTV
You must be registered for see images attach

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks,its a great idea to cut the bolt!
just need to find the correct one to buy.
i saw leak under the cover.
I have yet to get the front carrier of mine back together, I'm still in 2wd mode, so I can't help with any part #'s for the bolt yet.

The front diff is considered a dana 30a. I've found a lot of places online claim they have parts for the front end of libertys, but it doesn't always match it being a 30a, in that case I'd contact the seller just to make sure that it's really for the 30a and not mislabeled.

I've always been a fan of gasket maker myself, but knowing how much room is in the front end while in the vehicle, I could see wanting to go with the premade gasket. I've had odd problems in the past with what must of been a slightly warped/bent cover causing the slightest leak, that rtv was able to compensate for, hopefully not your case.

As well, the carrier housing I pulled out of my jeep when I bought it had a drain plug with a failing built in rubber washer causing a small leak, which I thought was from the cover. I opened my front diff cover to find 2 broken carrier bearing caps inside, I highly doubt you'll have the same problem, but in hindsight I was glad I ended up taking a look in there. The front carrier housing I bought from a salvage yard has just tapered threads on the drain plug like my transmission and xfer case did, which I prefer.

liron sasson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet to get the front carrier of mine back together, I'm still in 2wd mode, so I can't help with any part #'s for the bolt yet.

The front diff is considered a dana 30a. I've found a lot of places online claim they have parts for the front end of libertys, but it doesn't always match it being a 30a, in that case I'd contact the seller just to make sure that it's really for the 30a and not mislabeled.

I've always been a fan of gasket maker myself, but knowing how much room is in the front end while in the vehicle, I could see wanting to go with the premade gasket. I've had odd problems in the past with what must of been a slightly warped/bent cover causing the slightest leak, that rtv was able to compensate for, hopefully not your case.

As well, the carrier housing I pulled out of my jeep when I bought it had a drain plug with a failing built in rubber washer causing a small leak, which I thought was from the cover. I opened my front diff cover to find 2 broken carrier bearing caps inside, I highly doubt you'll have the same problem, but in hindsight I was glad I ended up taking a look in there. The front carrier housing I bought from a salvage yard has just tapered threads on the drain plug like my transmission and xfer case did, which I prefer.
thanks for your help!
I did it with RTV ,today I will check if it leaks again =)

liron sasson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

did it!!thanks