Foam in the oil fill cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sicnik

Reaction score
I just changed my oil for the first time on the Kj today, and I noticed when I took the oil fill cap off there was a yellow colored foam on the inside of the cap and in the funnel. The lady that owned it before me used a syn-blend. Any ideas what this is? I was thinking water but didnt see any in the oil I drained out. would condensation cause it?

Nick

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
sicnik said:
I just changed my oil for the first time on the Kj today, and I noticed when I took the oil fill cap off there was a yellow colored foam on the inside of the cap and in the funnel. The lady that owned it before me used a syn-blend. Any ideas what this is? I was thinking water but didnt see any in the oil I drained out. would condensation cause it?

Nick
You got it. It is condensation. Nothing to worry about. Pretty much all of them do it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like scrambled eggs.

Clean that out - it hurts my eyes.

Dave

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yellow Sludge

I been told by one of the oil change places that all the Libs do it, and one of the other Jeep models too with the extended oil fill tube. kopkrab.gif

2003KJ

Reaction score
Funny....not noticing any on mine......i'll have to look next on the next change, as i've done a lot of city driving, rather short (compared to normal) distances, and it doesn't get driven as often as it used to.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
You got it. It is condensation. Nothing to worry about. Pretty much all of them do it.
You must be registered for see images

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The year I bought my first KJ (2003) I noticed it happen on the 2nd and 3rd oil changes but it was a rainy winter that year. I have not seen it since then though. Pretty sure it is most common in more humid environments.

sicnik

Reaction score
It has been cold and wet here the last month or so. I'm just glad its not something serious. thanks for the feedback

Nick

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is due to the oil filler tube being so long and also being made of plastic. It doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the moisture.
I get very little of this, just a slight yellow mark between the cap and the tube. I think it also varies with different makes of oil. I once used Duckhams in an Alfa Romeo it it produced heaps of mayonaise, changed to Castrol and I had no problem.

Members online

No members online now.