First Jeep...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CIPuyleart

Reaction score
Our daughter will be turning 16 in a few months, and my wife and I had started the look for her first car. Something with AWD was a must, since we live up in the hills in SW Washington state, where we are guaranteed to get snow if there is any threat of it down in Portland. Additionally, my wife prefers something that sits up a bit higher (we typically vacation in my leveled Tundra because we just prefer the better view from the higher cab), and then we had to still satisfy our daughter's "tastes" (which kept gravitating toward mid-sized sedans). Somehow, we were able to settle on an 04 Liberty Limited "Trail Rated" that was a one-owner car (elderly couple) with 144,000 miles on it. Inside and out, it looks damn near brand new, other than a few niggles here and there (needs new tires, the hood struts need replaced, and it's due for rear brake pads). And the price was fair.

After getting home with it, and pouring more carefully through the service records (of which they had most of them), I've noticed a few things that now have me stretching out my Google-Fu, and that led me to this site.

So, as I venture into my ownership of the family's first Jeep, it looks like I'm going to need to get cozy to research and satisfy my curiosity on a few of the quirks and hidden surprises this might have in store for me.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you got a reasonable deal if you have all the service records. First see if you have the OEM Jeep service manual and (it's a Jeep and not a car...big difference). It should be located in a hidden slot above the glove box when you open it. It's hard to see if you are not looking for it.

Also go online to the Jeep website under "owners services" and there is a place to ask for "a build sheet". Or you can go to any Jeep dealer service manager and ask for one. Either way it will tell you everything that was included with the Jeep when it left the factory and it is free. You will need the vehicle id #.

That will get you started.

Welcome to the world of Jeeps.

Dave

CIPuyleart

Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you got a reasonable deal if you have all the service records. First see if you have the OEM Jeep service manual and (it's a Jeep and not a car...big difference). It should be located in a hidden slot above the glove box when you open it. It's hard to see if you are not looking for it.

Also go online to the Jeep website under "owners services" and there is a place to ask for "a build sheet". Or you can go to any Jeep dealer service manager and ask for one. Either way it will tell you everything that was included with the Jeep when it left the factory and it is free. You will need the vehicle id #.

That will get you started.

Welcome to the world of Jeeps.

Dave

Yep - we've got the owners manual and service book. I couldn't figure out how to put it BACK in the glove box until I looked on this site and discovered the extra slot.

The seller actually had the original order sheet and all of the dealer documentation that they handed over as well.

It looks like it does have a leak in the rear pinion seal. So I'm on the hunt for a reputable (and hopefully inexpensive) shop that I can trust in SW Washington to take care of that.

Playing with the 4WD yesterday, the lights in the dash aren't lighting up (though I can tell it's shifting in and out of each one). So it looks like I need to probably replace the sensor/switch. That one I'm not afraid to tackle based on the write-ups I've seen here.