FCV failure in Jeep Liberty 2.8 CRD ' 2006 (it isn´t the plastic gear)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dperezco

Reaction score
Hello:
I'm the owner of a Jeep Liberty 2.8 CRD 2006 model year.

The FCV (FLow Control Valve/Throttle Body Valve) doesn't close on switching the engine off. The electric motor is constantly maintaining it opened for ten seconds after switching it off.
While the engine is running, the FCV works well (I can see the valve opening and closing a little; I've two FCV and I connect the other, so I can see
how it works)

I've opened the FCV, and the plastic gear that usually breaks (it's a commonf failure of in FCV 2.8 CRD engine), it's ok!!

I think is an electric problem of the FCV.
Could you tell me if you have heard of a similar problem?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

flman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I unplugged the broken FCV on my one Jeep with the Eco tune. It is just an emission device to make the engine suck more soot in.

dperezco

Reaction score
My car is a 2.8 CRD year 2006.
I changed one year ago the FCV ( # 05142799AA).
Two months ago, I had to change the ECU. The old ECU had version number 56044773AF, and the new ECU has version number 05187221AB. The new ECU corresponds to a KJ year 2007. I think that this new ECU includes the reflash 56044776BB - change to FCV to reduce potential of failures

(see http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47169)

Since I changed the ECU, I can heard a little gas explosion when I switch the engine off; I've seen the FCV and now it doesn't close on swithing the engine off. I've dismount it and the plastic gear which usually brokes, it's OK.
I don't know if this new "behaviour" of the FCV is because of the new ECU, that avoids closing the FCV swithing the engine off and, in this way, the FCV doesn´t broke. Or is the FCV broken again??

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The purpose of the FCV is to create a vacuum and allow the Engine to suck in the exhaust through the EGR. The EGR is to comply with legislation created by corrupt political leaders (left and right) who are fishing for campaign contributions. If the FCV is stuck open, so what. Best yet, un bolt your fuel filter and flip it out of the way. Reach down and loosen up two of the bolts going to the line going into the EGR and slide in a piece of shim stock .1 mm to .5 mm thick, brass, copper, or stainless steel works great. Then tighten up the bolts with out removing the shim stock. Now put your fuel filter back in place and bolt it down.
Now the EGR is plated off for good. Getting rid of the EGR will improve fuel economy, reduce soot emissions, and make your engine sound better (I think anyway).