Every time I re-fuel it shoots out filler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 06 started doing this about 2 months ago. almost everytime now. i gotta go slow with the fuel or i get overflow. doesnt make a bit of sense to me.

string

Reaction score
This isn't a "topping off" issue. If the pump is left on full flow, when the auto shutoff engages a good cup or so of gas spits out and runs down the quarter panel.

Like I said - for the last couple of gallons, just fill it at about 1/2 flow. Seems to work well for mine.

I tried it at 1/2 flow and it seems to work so far, I will need to fill up soon and will try it again. Thanks for the common sense.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this issue as well, and as other's from the People's Republic of New Jersey have stated, it's not a self serve state. Some attendants actually speak and understand english, and listen to you when you tell them you have to pump it slowly, and you can't top it off. Unfortunately most attendants are not natural born citizens, and many understand little english....or just don't care.

I go to a Shell station where I pay a few cents per gallon more because all the attendants are natural born Americans who speak and understand english, and many there knowing I'm a seasoned fire fighter will let me pump my own....(even though they're not supposed to)

It's been explained to me that Jeep Liberty's have a valve at the tank that's supposed to shut closed if you roll, this valve often gets stuck half open, and that is what causes the splash back when filling......I assume this information is correct, if not I'd like to know what does cause it......

05Renegade

Reaction score
I have this same issue. Ive tried the 1/2 speed fill and it still splashes out. I usually just listen closely till I here it about to overflow, then i only get a few drips...

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this same issue. Ive tried the 1/2 speed fill and it still splashes out. I usually just listen closely till I here it about to overflow, then i only get a few drips...

I used to try and listen, but it seems there's always a motorcycle followed by a semi, followed by a car with a fart-can exhaust, and all backed up by a lifted 4x4 on mud tires. I can't hear it at all when I am filling up with all the background noise.

DCoxson2003KJ

Reaction score
I have an 03 and an 05, only have that issue with the 05. I put the nozzel in and clip it open and when it kicks off I get a splash out every time.