Engine went bang and stopped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geoff130

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help, my wife had just started her 2004 CRD and while idling it made a loud bang and stopped. I've since tried it again and it started, ran fine for a few minutes and again a loud band, the engine shook but carried on running. I switched it off immediately.
There's normal oil level and no other indications, it's done about 80,000 miles. Any ideas?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Timing belt is the usual first suspect or the water pump if it wasn't changed during the last timing belt change. A rocker-lifter might have jumped off or a glow plug might have disintegrated.

I'm assuming you have the 2.5 CRD since it's an '04.

Geoff130

Reaction score
Yes it's a 2.5, the water pump was changed about 10,000 miles ago because it was leaking so I changed the belt too while it was apart, I'll check the lifters first. Thanks.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Pulling the glow plugs can give you an indication of destruction within the cylinders. It'll also release compression so you can turn the engine by hand for at least two turns listening for extra noises and tight spots. My parts jeep engine has an extra click on the exhaust side of one cylinder which I think is a bad rocker-lifter.

Was the "bang" a mechanical or combustion bang?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Oy!

My guess is a lifter came apart and held a valve open long enough to get bumped and bent by a piston. The EGR introduces abrasive crud that wears the rocker pivot pins introducing extra unwanted motion. A compression test would prove my guess wrong or right but it seems like you're going to have to tear into it.

Are you familiar with ID Parts and Sasquatch Parts? LOSTJEEPS forum has the most info on the CRD and there are a couple of travelling mechanics who work on these engines if you don't want to.