Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Cribbs

Reaction score
Would it be a good idea to put an earlier model engine in an older body and will it just drop in with minimal changes I have a good 2008 3.7 and trans but it got wrecked but I found a 2004 liberty that needs motor. They are both liberty's with same set up engine trans but 2008 is the year they gave the liberty a make over. Just want to make sure it will not only work but not be a major task. Thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Many times it comes down to model years & wiring/ modules etc.
Since you have a 2004 that just needs a motor, it would be best to find an 03 or 04 KJ engine to install.
As far as the 08, they are very different electrically.
If you want a better 3.7 dropped in, Jasper Engines is the way to go as they use updated quality parts in their builds.

Rusty Cribbs

Reaction score
Well I already own the 2008 and my daughter had a wreck on the driver's side so that was why I was just gonna do a engine swap

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense that you are thinking along those lines. If you’re wanting the easiest swap, see if you can find another 08 with a bad engine. The 07 has many things in common with the 08 in terms of electrical (drive by wire throttle body) but I haven’t heard yet what issues may arise transplanting an 08 into an 07 or vice versa. Going back to 04, there is definitely a different computer and cable driven throttle body, etc. If you’re going to go for it you’d have to use all the peripherals from the 04 when you put the 08 engine in. Nothing electrical will probably work from the 08. That means you may need to keep the 04 ****** as well.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to think outside the box a little... the 07-08 Dodge Nitro is the same as the 08 Liberty under the sheet metal. They came out of the same factory in Toledo, OH. So if you can’t find a Liberty with a blown engine to transplant your 08 into, search for a Nitro with a bad 3.7. (The 4.0 L Nitros were different and the motor mounts and electronics probably don’t work with the 3.7.)

Rusty Cribbs

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys I will be looking for an 08 liberty or nitro

Latest posts

Members online