Engine skip or stuter leading to shut off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linton23

Reaction score
The one day I let my wife drive my Liberty she calls and tells me it keeps shutting off. I just took it for a drive and it seemed fine till I felt a loss of power it stuttered a couple of times. I pulled up to a stop light no problem then it shut off. I restarted and went a little ways when it started stuttering again. Could it be a fuel filter or pump I am open to suggestions I know its vague. check engine light has been on since i have owned it from a evap code.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Code scanners can be purchased quite reasonably.
I bought this cool 4 in one for $89 aprox. Gauges,trip,code scan,clear codes etc..etc..
http://www.auteltech.com/4in1.htm
40615[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Without the codes you are guessing and parts can add up so scan & replace as necessary!

Attachments

• AutelComputer.jpg
    AutelComputer.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Code is very, very helpful in diagnosing the correct issue. Just sayin'...

Something similar happened to mine this year, and I ended up replacing the crankshaft position sensor.

linton23

Reaction score
unless advanced or orileys does code scanning I am going to have to wait a month to take it some place to scan it. Will a GM scan tool read jeep codes?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Advanced should be able to scan it no problem, probably no charge.
What year is the KJ as some you can do the Key-On-Off-On-off-On trick and the code will be read in the odometer.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Works on my 04 TRY this:
Without starting the Jeep turn ignition ( relatively quickly) to
ON-Off-ON-OFF and leave in the ON position.
You should then see P00442 example in odometer if you get the sequence right.

linton23

Reaction score
Well I pulled the codes this morning and here is what I found out p1491 which I have replaced this fan relay 2 months back p0455 evap code and then p0340 which is a cam shaft sensor. Whats my best course of action?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The cam shaft sensor is located on the front right side of cylinder head.
40638[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Held in with one bolt, remove it and replace it, by apply oil to rubber seal and wiggle it in there, but make sure it is straight/flush to block before tightening bolt.
Large evap code 455 ya that is not going to make things run any better either. That can be a cracked hose PCV line/ Look at vacuum hoses around the engine bay for deterioration,cracks, and around the EVAP canister in rear/fuel tank lines. Maybe one line end is broken somewhere as well?
I take it that you never cleared the code after fan relay, just make sure that the fan is operating correctly and turning on at high speeds. If you engage the air conditioning the fan should be on then.

Attachments

• CamShaftSensor.jpg
    CamShaftSensor.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CPS is really easy to change, like LTC said. Zip the old one out, zip new one in. I would definitely find the evap leak and check all of your other lines to be safe. If the leak is large enough, your engine is sucking too much air where it shouldn't be. Better to follow all the lines and find any other bad looking hoses so you can replace them at the same time. You can get hose pretty cheap from auto parts stores.

linton23

Reaction score
I installed the sensor reset the codes. I took it out for a 20 min drive with no issues so far. I replaced the gas cap about a month ago so I bet that's the leak on the evap system. Thanks for the info on pulling the codes there hasent been a dodge dealer in town for 25 years and I hate to take it 50 miles to get someone to pull a code.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is good news. I have had after market gas caps produce small leak but not large leak.
For gas caps I recommend dealer locking one, not expensive and not leaking.