Emission Cleaning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a letter from my Five-Star Jeep dealer letting me know I need an oil change. Thanks for that. They also recommended an Emissions Cleaning? WTH is that? Anyone know?

Gotta look at my manual and see what it recommends. I'm at around like 33k I think.

-Blu

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happen to have a 2002 KJ shop manual. \:D/
There is an entire chapter on Emissions Control. Thank you clean air standards... Wow, it says a lot. For one it talks about the Powertrain Control Module that monitors circuits in the fuel injection, ignition, emission and engine systems. There are over 14 pages of fault codes for the PCM! I would assume that they check this.

Then it talks about the oxygen sensors (air to fuel ratio to control emissions). Then leak detection, misfire monitor, fuel system monitor, catalyst monitor, fuel pressure, ignition circuit, exhaust system, etc.!

Apart of an emissions check for a vehicle in your range is probably as well just checking for leaks in pipe joints, rusted muffler or pipes, catalytic convertor damage, etc. But you would hear the leaks I would think.

It's amazing at all the parts in a vehicle these days... No wonder the Yugo was such a piece (being made in a communist country). IMO, it's amazing that union's make cars. :-s

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
Just got a letter from my Five-Star Jeep dealer letting me know I need an oil change. Thanks for that. They also recommended an Emissions Cleaning? WTH is that? Anyone know?

Gotta look at my manual and see what it recommends. I'm at around like 33k I think.

-Blu

They might pull the O2 sensors and clean them as well as run some "Injector Cleaner" through the intake. The rest would probably be to check for thrown codes, and a visual check of the rest of the system.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What should that run me?

Pulling the o2 doesnt seem very difficult (assuming you've done it before, and no skidplates, etc, should be a 15 min ordeal)

I've got an aftermarket extended warranty on mine which will go into effect shortly. The issue with it is I have to have EVERY user-manual recommended thing done, so I will have to get this done if it's legit, just wondering how much it's gonna set me back.

-Blu

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the extended warranty, but I do have a 5 star dealer and they never reccommended or said anything about this type of service, nor have I ever had it done. Now my dealer may just suck or something, but the KJ seems just fine and I am pushing 50K miles. :-k

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
What should that run me?

Pulling the o2 doesnt seem very difficult (assuming you've done it before, and no skidplates, etc, should be a 15 min ordeal)
-Blu

Watch out for that "pulling the O2 sensors" bit. If they are actually doing this, get ready for a bit of expense. With the constant heating (to extreme temps) and cooling the sensors tend to weld themselves in place and removing them often results in breaking them then cleaning up the threads and fitting a new one. Relatively cheap O2 sensors run around $100 (new), no telling what an O2 sensor for the KJ will cost (don't buy used!). Remember you have an upstream sensor (before the catalytic) and a downstream sensor (after the catalytic) so you might end up having to replace both of them. Since O2 sensors basically last as long as the rest of the emission system, I wouldn't go messing with them unless you're throwing codes or have something wrong with the emissions system. It just seems kinda silly to me to go replacing perfectly good parts just cuz you wanted to look at them and ended up breaking them in the process.
Might be a good idea to ask them not to remove the sensors but check the rest of the system. Just a thought.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
BluPhant said:
What should that run me?

-Blu

Watch out for that "pulling the O2 sensors" bit. If they are actually doing this, get ready for a bit of expense. With the constant heating (to extreme temps) and cooling the sensors tend to weld themselves in place and removing them often results in breaking them then cleaning up the threads and fitting a new one. Relatively cheap O2 sensors run around $100 (new), no telling what an O2 sensor for the KJ will cost (don't buy used!). Remember you have an upstream sensor (before the catalytic) and a downstream sensor (after the catalytic) so you might end up having to replace both of them. Since O2 sensors basically last as long as the rest of the emission system, I wouldn't go messing with them unless you're throwing codes or have something wrong with the emissions system. It just seems kinda silly to me to go replacing perfectly good parts just cuz you wanted to look at them and ended up breaking them in the process.
Might be a good idea to ask them not to remove the sensors but check the rest of the system. Just a thought.

I agree here, and it's a good point. The O2 sensor may be covered by the federally mandated 7 year emissions warranty, so unless it spells it out in the SM that it is PM that has to be done to keep warrantees (any) in effect, then may be it is just something the dealer uses to generate $$$.