EL Glow Gauge Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myakubis

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal. I know of many people who would like to do a glow gauge job on their Libs, but like me cannot find much help. I bought a Haynes manual and it is incredibly helpful and has a wiring diagram for the headlights and everything. The install (vague) recomends a consistent 12v source, but I only want the gauges to go on when the headlights are on (seeing that it only makes sense to need the gauges lit when it is dark enough). So any recomendations would be much accepted. Does anyone know the best way to access headlight power (through the fuse box or the actual switch bar?). Following a successful installation, I will post directions and pictures for anyone else interested on upgrading the look of the interior.

Here's the plan:
1. Remove Bezel
2. Remove Cluster
3. Install new Gauge Face
4. Wire Face and secure inverter
5. test gauges
6. reinstall the rest...

myakubis

Reaction score
I have completed the install, so if anyone would like to see it all done let me know. I haven't posted it mostly because I am a busy college student and maybe a little lazy. So let me know if you want to see it and I will post it as soon as I get the chance.

Seanpr123

Reaction score
I really want to see also...

SO GET OFF YOUR BUTT!

Signed,
another lazy college kid

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seanpr123 said:
I really want to see also...

SO GET OFF YOUR BUTT!

Signed,
another lazy college kid

X2!! Im also a college kid, although I do study alot so I dont believe Im lazy... \:D/

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I installed a couple of these for some of my friends.. pretty easy, but you have to be VERY careful not to touch the needles too much when installing the sheets as they are very easy to mess up. I mean you can move them, but just be careful.

I just always tapped into an illumination wire that lights the cluster itself. Does your manual say which wire it is? else I can look it up. From memory I remember the thing used a couple milliamps so I never used a relay, but a relay is never a bad idea for the most part.

Bennett

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't really describ eit well, but the illumination wire is green with a yellow stripe. It's on the top row towards the passenger side if the plug was plugged in.