EGR bypass input & repair manual - 06 Liberty CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lara81

Reaction score
I am new to the Jeep world and trying to learn the basics when it comes to repair of my 06 Liberty CRD. I am definately not a mechanic but want to attempt to do as much as I can myself, prior to taking it in to the shop.

My first question is - Does anyone know where to find a repair manual for the 06 liberty CRD that doesn't cost a small fortune?? online download maybe?

Also, my liberty has about 149xxxkms on it. I have only put about 9k of those since I bought it a couple months ago. The check engine light began coming on about 2 weeks ago but would go out every couple of days, then come back on. I have not noticed any loss of power, decreased fule mileage, unusual sounds etc, it still seems to run great. My commute is about 120 per day up and over a small steep mountain, so I run it fairly ******* a regular basis! I have had a buddy read the codes and the 299 & 401 came up. There do not appear to be any turbo leaks, and I cleaned the boost pressure sensor (which I will likely replace because it was quite gummed up) as well as the air intact sensor (i think). The light went off for a day and a half and has come back on again. Next I was going to look into bypassing the EGR all together. I have heard that it is common to have EGR issues and isn't hard to bypass it and get a simulated EGR that tricks your computer into thinking it is still functioning to keep the engine light off?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to the Jeep world and trying to learn the basics when it comes to repair of my 06 Liberty CRD. I am definately not a mechanic but want to attempt to do as much as I can myself, prior to taking it in to the shop.

My first question is - Does anyone know where to find a repair manual for the 06 liberty CRD that doesn't cost a small fortune?? online download maybe?

Also, my liberty has about 149xxxkms on it. I have only put about 9k of those since I bought it a couple months ago. The check engine light began coming on about 2 weeks ago but would go out every couple of days, then come back on. I have not noticed any loss of power, decreased fule mileage, unusual sounds etc, it still seems to run great. My commute is about 120 per day up and over a small steep mountain, so I run it fairly ******* a regular basis! I have had a buddy read the codes and the 299 & 401 came up. There do not appear to be any turbo leaks, and I cleaned the boost pressure sensor (which I will likely replace because it was quite gummed up) as well as the air intact sensor (i think). The light went off for a day and a half and has come back on again. Next I was going to look into bypassing the EGR all together. I have heard that it is common to have EGR issues and isn't hard to bypass it and get a simulated EGR that tricks your computer into thinking it is still functioning to keep the engine light off?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

You can find downloads for the 2006 FSM in the CRD section at www.lostjeeps.com as well as how to disable the EGR!

Lara81

Reaction score
just unplug the maf. :)

unplugging the maf will cause the CEL to stay on won't it? This is my daily driver that I put 120kms on daily just to get to and from work, so I would really rather have the CEL functioning so I can catch any other issues before it's too late... I'm thinking SEGR

Lara81

Reaction score
I read the codes again yesterday and 401 is the only one coming up now, so I think I am on the right track!

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best long-term fix is the GreenDiesel flash which effectively disables the EGR as well as improving fuel economy and drivability (and adds some other little improvements).

secondechomatt

Reaction score
unplugging the maf will cause the CEL to stay on won't it? This is my daily driver that I put 120kms on daily just to get to and from work, so I would really rather have the CEL functioning so I can catch any other issues before it's too late... I'm thinking SEGR

I agree, segr or IMHO the GDE tune is the best route. I had the same codes, its all linked to the EGR malfunctioning. Unplug the maf and those codes go away. :) Get a cheap code reader to check it. Daily, weekly, etc...

Lara81

Reaction score
So, how do I get my hands on an SEGR? Cost? And how hard are they to install? I am NOT a mechanic, but trying to learn and do as much as possible myself, as you may be able to tell from so many questions that are likely straight forward for most haha

The more info the better, thanks all

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best long-term fix is the GreenDiesel flash which effectively disables the EGR as well as improving fuel economy and drivability (and adds some other little improvements).

The GDE flash reduces the rate of EGR, it does not disable the EGR, read their published documents, it is all there.

To get rid of the EGR. First, check you garage or driveway for spy cameras :happy175: so you don't get caught. Then, remove the two nuts that mount your fuel filter, swing it up out of the way, and look at the EGR valve, you will see a two bolt flange that attaches the pipe to the EGR valve. This is the same pipe you need to loosen up to get to glow plug #3. Loosen up the two flange bolts and slide a piece of exhaust gasket material between the bolts and then tighten them up. Your EGR will be shut off for good. GDE advances the timing more than InMotion or RocketChip, so they do not want their users blocking off the EGR they have leaned back.
SEGR History: UFO made the SEGR kits in the past that TurboTim engineered. If they won't make one, any competent electronics guy can build one from TurboTims BOM and drawings.
Good luck.

Last edited: