Double Din Stereo's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone every tried putting an aftermarket double-din car stereo into the factory Liberty? I know Kenwood and Alpine makes some of these but they are rare.

rob

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought the install kit for mine, it looks more like a din and a half, not double din. I could be on crack though.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, crutchfield carries a couple of them by pioneer. Last I looked none of them supported MP3 or had good aux inputs tho.

It's din-and-a-half.. double din are the *** cars.

-Blu

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
superspeckman said:
(Aeh) Double "Din"

What is this din that you speak of?

You must be registered for see images

The JVC in the above picture is a single "Din" in a "Din and a half" mounting kit. A double din is twice the size (height) of the JVC, typically used ((as stated above) in foreign cars. Din is just the term used for the size of the radio.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
technically is DIN, its a standard of measurment used for among other things the size of a vehicle's head unit.

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

The JVC in the above picture is a single "Din" in a "Din and a half" mounting kit. A double din is twice the size (height) of the JVC, typically used ((as stated above) in foreign cars. Din is just the term used for the size of the radio.

What is the brand of the mounting kit you used and where did you get it? I like how it has an integrated slot. Good for an iPod

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I thought he was just asking of anyone put a double DIN in the jeep, not what the size was. I think someone did, but you have to modify (cut) the bezel, and HVAC area for it to fit. The stock size, yeah, is 1.5 DIN. There are some cool 2 DIN units out there I would like to have; nice touch screen systems.

nemss1: I got a mounting kit at Wal*Mart, was 12.99 - Got the antenna adapter there too.

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought he was just asking of anyone put a double DIN in the jeep, not what the size was. I think someone did, but you have to modify (cut) the bezel, and HVAC area for it to fit. The stock size, yeah, is 1.5 DIN. There are some cool 2 DIN units out there I would like to have; nice touch screen systems.

nemss1: I got a mounting kit at Wal*Mart, was 12.99 - Got the antenna adapter there too.

Is it a scosche? I was looking for one like in the pic with the integrated slot below the head unit. Do the scosches have that?

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I researched...the kit in the pic is a Metra 99-6504 (without trim plate). 99-6505 will also work but utilizes the trim plate that comes with the stereo (thought i'd post this for reference on anyone having the same question I did). Pep Boys and Autozone carry Metra dash kits.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The trim plate is for 1 DIN radios, to fill the hole of a 1.5 DIN area. They are rounded ends (corners), so even replacing the radio with an aftermarket 1.5 DIN radio without using an adapter is going to be difficult. It would have to be FOR your vehicle. Most adapters are just to replace your 2 DIN or 1.5 DIN with a 1 DIN radio. I saw a real nice 1.5 DIN radio at Pep Boyz, but it won't install in the stock 1.5 DIN area due to the corners being rounded, and there is no adapter for it... I suppose there is a compatibility list in the kit, but I did not bother to look.

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also forgot to add, the Metra 99-6504, being an ISO DIN kit, does not use the sleeve that comes with most aftermarket 1-inch DIN stereos. The stereo itself is mounted directly to the kit. I like these better (in my opinion) because it's a much cleaner looking setup.