Doing a “mini-lift” questions…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve seen a thread asking for this, just pieces throughout various threads. I figure someone else may be thinking this too, so I’d ask them all in one place.

I am thinking for the time being, I’d like to level the KJ out and perhaps lift it slightly. My questions are:

1) What is typically needed to level it front to rear? Lift the front by about .75”? This could be completed with a clevis lift…will I notice any difference in handling (meaning, will it ride rougher?). I figure I shouldn’t see anything, and if there is, it’d be minimal. Right now, I am just asking about the effect on handling of making it level to the stock rear height.

2) You’ll see why I am asking this later, but how high can you reliably go with a clevis lift? 1”? 1.25”? 1.5”? When does the ride suffer?

3) How much will an extra isolator lift the rear? Is it .50” or .75”? I am thinking perhaps to throw another isolator in the rear and then leveling out the front from that point.

4) Add the amount of leveling to the stock rear height (#1) with the height of the additional isolator back there (#3). Would this total clevis lift make a noticeable difference in handling? I realize this is dependant on question #2’s answer – might not even be doable.

5) Approximately how much do the stock isolators cost? Just trying to work out an estimate for this little project (I know I’ll need an alignment).

6) Anything I am missing or anything I should be aware of? Not to be a jerk, but I don't want to hear "Just get XYZ lift, you'll like it!" The money is not in the budget and won't be for a LOOOOONG time. Too many other items higher up on the priority list. I also have a whopping 3800 miles on it, I am not interested in doing anything huge for a while. If I have issues I can easily remove this and put it back before I take it in for work (yes, I know I'll need another alignment then too).

I haven’t taken my KJ off-road yet, and I honestly don’t know how much I’ll really need a lift when I do. I honestly can’t see myself going very often or doing anything very crazy. Instead of really planning on doing the lift or dropping the cash on it now, I thought I might do this in the meantime as I’d assume costs would really be minimal. I mostly want to level it out, but figure I might as well lift it a little….just because I can. What can I say, I can never leave a vehicle stock, I always have to play a little. My assumption is that I shouldn’t have too many issues, and I’d still be right around a pre-lowered Liberty, probably a little under that height.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I found answers to two of my questions...

in order to level out a stock KJ, it seems that 5/8" clevis lift would be needed.

The rear isolators are 1/2" thick.

So, the two remaining questions would be:

How high of a clevis lift can I do? I'll level it, but to raise the rear .5", I'd need 1.125" of clevis to even it out.

What do the clevis lift and adding isolators do to ride quality?

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look under your rig at the clevis and strut. How much of that space do you think is safe to give up before your in trouble?
Springs are springs, you aren't changing them any just making them longer in their perches. It takes the same amount of spring to hold up the rig so the ride is the same.
Frankly, I wouldn't get under the rig unless I was putting in a good lift, I'm not prone to burning up a day messing around for little or no result.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2 cents, figure all this out that ur wondering, then dont touch anything, learn as much about ur other options too, then still dont touch, spend some time wheeling some trails and drive around for another 6 months, once u know how she handles, then make the call. youll know what u then, know what its worth, and be able to compare to how it was because u drove enough to know.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replied...

CRD, that makes sense. I didn't think it'd change the suspension feel any, but thought I might be missing something.

A puck lift does change the feel though, doesn't it? I'd almost be interested in doing a puck, however, I refuse to change out struts right now. My thought is a clevis lift is extremely cheap, and I could give it a whirl. If it does well enough for my uses (I think it will) then no need to upgrade any further. I am of the "less is better" mentality at this point with cars. I just do what I feel I need to and nothing more.

Good point o8k...I should get it out on some trails and see what I think it'd need, and also what kind of wheeling I'd like to do.